Saved Or Not

Mara walked the streets of New Orleans, Elijah's silent whispering pleads ringing throughout her ears as she tried to ignore his begging.

Not sure of where she was going she raced through the streets quickly, the heels of her boots clicking as they made contact with the concrete below.

Not long after she found herself standing in front of the infamous Rousseau's, seeking out a specific blond woman.

Making her way towards the bar she looked around trying to find Camille, who was usually here around this time of the day.

Her friend then came out from the back of the restaurant where only employees where allowed.

A smile crept itself across the young ladies face at the side of her newfound friend Mara.

"Mara, it seems like it's been forever since I've seen you! How are you?" She asked cheerfully, setting down the rag she previously had slung over her shoulder onto the counter.

"I'm doing quite well, what of your emotional state, Camille?" Mara replied before returning the question as she sat down at the bar stool across from Camille.

"I've missed your unique medieval talking, and I'm doing great, I actually met this guy here." Camille said with a chuckle, to which Mara raised her eyebrows slightly.

"Do you happen to know the identity of this man of which you speak." Mara inquired as Camille slid her a bourbon, already knowing that she was going to ask for one.

"His name is Marcel, I actually went to a sort of fundraiser that he threw last night. A kind lady named Rebekah asked me to come on his behalf." She said, but Mara could tell that there was something she wasn't telling her.

Reading her mind she saw the images of a different man than Marcel, she recognized the face because she had spotted him briefly before.

"There's somebody else your mind wanders to when somebody asks you which man has caught your eye despite this, am I correct in my assumptions, Camille?" Mara asked, twirling her pointed nail around the rim of her glass.

"I guess I can't fool you can I? It's true, there's this guy, Klaus, he's Marcels wingman/best friend/right hand man. There's just something about him, he's so mysterious, like he's got some kind of wisdom behind his eyes. He walks so confidently, he could get any girl he wants but instead he chooses to pay attention to me. By his features it's obvious that he couldn't be older than 25 but he still seems to carry so much knowledge and it's like it weighs him down with every step he takes. I want to get to know him, I want him to open up to me, but he seems to only be interested in helping Marcel get with me. But I just know he has to feel something, the way he acts, there's no way he doesn't at least have some interest in me right?" Camille rambled, her eyes filled with adoration but also uncertainty as she asked a question near the end of her rant.

"Camille, in any era you could be defined as an intelligent and most certainly gorgeous woman. The beauty in which you have both inside and outside of your body could only be described as ethereal. If this 'Klaus' man does not value these qualities of which you possess, then he shouldn't be spared a singular second of your time." Mara said as she stroked the outside of her glass, a smile painted across Camille's face as she listened to her friends praise.

"You're too kind Mara, I love how you talk. It makes everything you say so much more elegant, I don't think any bodies compliments have ever made me feel as happy as yours just did. It reminds me of this guy that came in here not to long ago." Camille said with a chuckle as she refilled Mara's bourbon glass.

"Really, did you so to speak 'catch' the name of this man." Mara asked curiously taking a sip of her bourbon.

"Yes actually, you two might get along, his names Elijah." Camille said and Mara stopped in her tracks.

"If I'm not mistaken you said the man's name was Elijah?" Mara asked furrowing her brows.

"Yeah why, do you know him or something?" Camille inquired setting down the rag she had been cleaning the counter with.

"Him and I have crossed paths with one another on many different occasions." Mara said setting down her bourbon glass.

"Oooo, does Mara have a crush?" Camille teased wiggling her eyebrows.

"I do not have any romantic feelings for Elijah whatsoever." Mara spoke defensively making Camille smirk.

"Oh you do don't you." Camille said poking her friend who now had an irritated look on her face.

"I've spoken with him very few times, and the only times that we have ever crossed paths have been at night in the streets of New Orleans. Unless those circumstances qualify as 'romantic feelings' or as you said a crush then no I don't experience those feelings when Elijah is in my presence." Mara said before  gulping down the rest of her bourbon.

"Ok then, enlighten me, if you aren't romantically attracted to him then what do you feel when he's, 'in your presence' as you say." Camille said placing two elbows on the counter and leaning her face onto her hands as she awaited Mara's answer.

"I don't understand how you wish for me to describe the emotion, it's the standard emotion that anybody feels when they interact with another person. It's a almost neutral feeling, I do not feel enraged when he's in my presence rather I feel.... delighted. However, that doesn't prove that I have any romantic affiliations with Elijah." Mara said and Camille only continued to smile mockingly.

"Sounds like a crush, I've never seen you uncertain and I can tell right now that you at least have some underlying feelings for Elijah." Camille said removing her face from her hands and turning around to wash Mara's glass which was now empty.

"I'm afraid that I have to take my leave now Camille, I wish that you have a delightful remainder of your day." Mara said jumping down from the barstool and walking toward the exit.

"I still think it's a crush!" Camille yelled from behind the bar as Mara walked out of the restaurant.

She would never love somebody like him, or anybody.

Or would she?