Chapter 28

A/N - I love you all too much so HERE

TW - this chapter is SAD, containing upsetting themes surrounding grief and suicide - THIS CHAPTER IS SKIPPABLE IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE READING <3

~~~

Caleb

Present day, 16th February

I don't think there was a day I hated more than today.

Today brought me nothing but pain- physical pain, emotional pain; I hated nothing more than today.

I had to wake up every day for the rest of my life knowing August wasn't here, but knowing that 4 years ago today was the last time he was here: the last time he took a breath, the last time he looked at the sky, the last time he saw his parents, it fucking killed me.

My chest felt heavy, my hands were shaking at my sides, I didn't want to do anything today. I didn't want to eat, look at anybody, speak, I just wanted to think about August.

August.

Even hearing his name made me want to scream, hit something, anything - and he'd caused me this pain. But no matter how much I hated him for it, I fucking loved him more than anything...but I couldn't save him.

Four years ago, 16th February

When you get a phone call from your best friend's parents you expect them to ask where he is, and that's your cue to make up an excuse that puts their mind at ease and saves him from deep shit.

This wasn't one of those phone calls.

I knew, I fucking knew from the heavy breathing and fucking screaming that came down the line that something had happened; something wasn't right.

"Jax? Jax? Talk to me, what the fuck's happening? Why's Ally screaming? Jax please- oh god is it Auggie?", I felt sick, my hand was barely even holding the phone to my ear as those piercing screams filled them, "Jax? Please talk to me".

"He's- he's- oh god, my boy", I'd never in a million years heard so much as a voice crack from Jackson Baker; I needed to get over there, "what's he done- oh god Caleb, what's he done?". August.

"Please just tell me what's happening", I begged, my own voice cracking as I put the phone on speaker and dropped it onto my bed, grabbing a hoodie and throwing it over my head, "I'm coming over, what's happened to him? Is he hurt? Did he trash his room again?".

My bedroom door opened and Zane entered, looking me up and down, he looked concerned as shit in a split second.

"You need to come over", was all Jax said, I told him I would before hanging up; I turned to my eldest brother and shook my head before stepping back.

"You need to take me to August", I pleaded, gripping my hair and swallowing the lump in my throat as tears slid down my cheeks, "you need to take me to August, Zane - you need to take me now!".

Luckily my brother had a decent amount of understanding in that brain of his because without a word he fished his keys out of his pocket and led the way downstairs, I kept my head down when I saw the twins peeking their heads out of their room - they didn't need to see me like this.

I carelessly slid my shoes on and ran out the door, jumping into the passenger seat and anxiously tapping my legs - god please let him be okay.

"What happened?", Zane asked while running a red light - please be okay.

"Jax called, Ally's screaming - something's not right, I can feel it", I gripped my hair and let out a breath, "please Auggie, please man".

"You need to breathe Caleb-", no.