State of Grace

6 Months Later...

"Alright, you're meeting a new person today. You ready?" Sam claps, rounding the corner into the kitchen where you were currently tending to your plant. You only had this one small plant inside, but most days you spent outside in your small garden enjoying the sun for the first time in your life.

You'd enjoyed a lot of firsts living with Sam in this small two-flat that was typically used as housing for SHIELD agents not living on the Avengers Compound. It was a small, but nice house and the two of you had found a nice routine living together. Daily walks to take in all New York had to offer, movie nights filled with every modern day classic, and catching up on everything else a twenty-something year old should know.

The caveat was other than in passing, your interactions with other people were few and far in between. Still it was good- better than anything you could have ever hoped for.

"New people?" you remark in awe, turning away from your houseplant. "You never let me meet new people!"

"I know," Sam chuckles. "But today is a special occasion- your very first mission."

"I'm so excited: my first mission!" you squeal. "Do I get to meet one of your friends?"

"Your first mission," he confirms. "And yes, you'll meet one of my friends, Bucky, he's going to help us with the mission."

"Bucky? That's a funny name," you quip, turning back around to finish pruning one of your plants.

"Well, it's more of a nickname, like what your friends call you instead of saying your full name. Like you call me Sam even though my name is Samuel?" Sam explains.

"Oh..." you nod in understanding. "Well, what's his real name?"

"James. James Buchanan Barnes."

"He has three names?"

"Which reminds me, I need to talk to Nick about that. He swears they're working on it, but apparently I need to light a fire under their ass to get you any type of documents."

"So when do I meet the new people?" you ask, brimming with excitement.

"The new person," Sam corrects. "It's one person."

"When do I meet the new person?" you amend, sighing another of Sam's corrections to your grammar.

"He should be here soon," he says, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "I'm going to call Nick about that and you can wait here for Bucky. He's got clearance, so he can just walk in, but I shouldn't be too long. Okay?"

"Got it," you chirp.

And then you're anxiously sitting at the front window sill watching the pedestrians pass on the street wondering which of the many strangers will be the first person you actually meet.

It's only been about 20 minutes when you hear the door knob turn. Despite your excitement at finally getting to interact with another person besides Sam, you freeze on the opposite side of the door, standing off to the side just out of sight.

You certainly don't mean to sneak up on him- though Sam's always told you your footsteps were eerily quiet.

"Oh," you marvel, taking in the new person in front of you. You can only see the back of his head and the glint of his metal arm, both of which completely capture your attention. "I've never seen a metal arm before- it's very cool."

"Jesus," Bucky jumps back, startled. "Who the hell are you? And how long have you been standing there?"

"Which question do you want me to answer first?" you ask with a large grin.