So It Goes...

That's how the two of you end up at a bar, a beer in front of Bucky and a mixed drink in front of you, it's a nice enough bar that Bucky doesn't have to worry about creeps staring at you all night, but dive-y enough that it's enough for the bartender that Bucky vouches for your age.

"You alright?" he asks after a moment.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good."

"Thank you, by the way. For being there. And not looking at me like a kicked puppy."

"That's what friends are for," he offers, giving you a small smile. What you don't see is Bucky's thoughts running rampant, now questioning if friendship is all that exists between the two of you. Then it's silent, and while he's okay with that, he doesn't want you to ruminate on the events of today, not while you're still this emotionally raw.

"So what do you want to do?" he awkwardly asks, desperately trying to remember how to make small talk with a woman.

"What do you mean?"

He shrugs, fighting the urge to cringe at himself. This was never him, he'd never had a problem talking to people before. Even though he made a conscious choice to close himself off, to be the quiet, brooding type, he was satisfied in knowing that he could talk to people if he wanted to- he just never did. Until now, and somehow the words of the smooth talking man from the 40's were all lost on him. "Like what do you want to do with your life? Your future, all that affirmational bullshit?"

"Well, Nick wants me to join the Avengers officially. And Sam-"

"I didn't ask what Fury and Sam wanted for you," Bucky interrupts. "I asked you what you wanted for yourself."

You take another large drink from you beverage as you think about his question. "I don't think I understand the question."

"You may want to take it easy there," he says, nudging his head to the two already empty glasses in front of you. You brush it off because you feel fine- good even. "And I don't know. I guess... like some people want the whole white picket fence thing?" he rambles, doing his best not to think of Steve's suggestive comments. 

There's no reason he wants to know about your hopes for the future- no reason at all. You're friends, Bucky silently reconciles, friends talk about their aspirations and if maybe someday you'd want a husband and kids. This is just friendship.

"Why would I care about a fence? Is that something that people worry about?"

He chuckles. "No, you're missing my point. What do you want?"

Your eyebrows furrow, but your smile remains on your face as you ponder the question. "Yeah, I don't think I like this question."

"You don't ever think about your future beyond the Avengers? You don't want a husband or kids someday?" he adds, unable to censor his wandering thoughts.

"Oh," you audibly wonder. "I've never thought about it, but I think so. Someday. It'd be nice to have a place to call home. Someone to share that with. I guess I'm trying to figure everything out right now."

"Now we're getting somewhere!" he laughs, feeling relief that the conversation is becoming effortless again.

"Well, what about you? Do you care what kind of fence you have?"

"Okay, remind me to explain that to you again," he chuckles, smirking at your flushed face in the dim bar light. "But I guess so. Never thought I'd have that, but it'd be nice. I guess that's one more thing we have in common, I'm really just trying to figure it all out."

After taking a large gulp of the beverage in front of you, you hum in approval, "Sam said we're two sides of the same coin, you know?"

He huffs out a laugh. "I know. I don't really see it."