Everything Has Changed

Since you and Wanda had patched things up, situating yourself in the compound was a lot smoother of a transition. Like Sam promised you, the team loved you. And your bright personality won them over fairly quickly- even Clint.

And then they started noticing.

Noticing what had taken Sam months to notice- they noticed a couple weeks in.

It didn't make sense to them- the ever stoic Bucky, former Winter Soldier. Notably grumpy and intimidating.

And you, absolutely none of those things. Yet you talked to Bucky in a way certain SHIELD agents were still scared to after almost a year of working on the compound. You two laughed together. Teased each other. Had secret inside jokes that not even Sam truly understood.

And as if the friendship wasn't strange enough to them- there was so much more.

It was weird, there was no other word for it.

For example, the silent conversations you and Bucky had that few others noticed. Like today, you two were sitting in the conference room with Sam, Steve, and Tony discussing tomorrow's mission. Bucky's eyes flickered to the right over at Steve who was going through a very detailed plan for your mission. Your eyes narrowed the slightest bit, slightly scrunching your nose. Bucky's lip twitched upward. And silently he would be telling you about how overkill Steve's planning was, that he always did this. You shook your head the tiniest bit, not even noticeable enough for the other people in the room.

Sometimes he'd be silently making fun of Sam.

It was weird, how you could just look at each other and have these silent conversations with no one none the wiser. He looked over at Steve, who was still talking, this time slightly raising his eyebrow, silently asking you 'who does he think is listening to him?'.

That was what did you in. You audibly chuckled, clapping a hand over your mouth at Bucky's silent teasing. Steve and Sam both snapped their heads to the two of you.

"Sorry," you mumble, trying to regain composure.

"As I was saying..." Steve continued, his eyes flickering to Bucky who looked much too smug to not have been involved in that little outburst.

Bucky looked incredibly triumphant at making you break, so now it was your turn to kick it up a notch. Your eyes flickered to Steve and ever so slightly you lolled your head back and forth, slightly rolling your eyes to joke about how endless Steve's plan and lecture seemed to be.

Bucky broke immediately, trying unsuccessfully to cover his sudden laugh with a cough.

"Can you two quit it?" Sam scolded.

"What?" you asked, playing dumb.

"You know what. Now stop it and pay attention."

"Okay..."

Then Bucky's eyes flickered to Sam, furrowing his eyebrows, rolling his eyes at Sam eliciting another audible laugh from you.

"Can you two just kiss already?" Tony groused. The both of you simultaneously averted your eyes from each other, your jaw practically dropping at Tony's comment as a faint blush appears on your face.

"Well that got them to stop," Steve smugly remarked. "Should've tried that earlier."

"Or maybe they should just kiss already," Tony quipped again.

You open your mouth to defend yourself, but close it immediately after realizing you have no defense. You cross your arms with a huff, your eyes still downcast.

"Moving on..." Steve continued once more.

This time when you looked over at Bucky, his eyes were planted on Steve, who was still going through your plan of action. You sighed, begrudgingly turning your attention back to Steve. Little did you know that as soon as your attention was on Steve, Bucky was looking back at you.