mad woman

One Week Before Move In...

"I'll be back. You're going to hang out with Steve today," Sam states as the two of you walk into the compound. "I've got some things I gotta take care of."

"Do I really need a babysitter?" you groan, completely unaware that today was any different than your normal trips to the compound.

"You know I can't leave you alone."

"Well what about James?" you suggest.

Sam teasingly narrows his eyes at you. "What about Bucky?"

"Why can't I hang out with him today?"

"He's on a mission. Besides, I think you and Steve will get along great. And it's a chance for you to see the compound before we move in next week."

"You already asked him to watch me, didn't you?" you deadpan, crossing your arms in annoyance.

"Okay, fine. I did," he admits. "But you're supposed to have someone watching you."

"I know," you sigh, feeling a bit like a child who's trying to convince their parents that they're old enough to be without a babysitter.

"You and Steve get along great anyway. This is a chance for your to expand your circle. Maybe you'll even meet some new people?"

"Don't try to distract me with new people!" you scold, your eyes narrowing at Sam.

"And there he is! Right on time," Sam exclaims, seeing Steve from over your shoulder while simultaneously pretending he doesn't see your glare.

"Hey, guys," Steve says.

You turn around and smile at the man. "Hi, Steve!"

And at first it's definitely a little awkward without anyone else there to keep your conversation going as the two of you slowly walking through the compound. Steve occasionally points out something that he thinks might be useful for you to know, but other than that, it's mostly idle chatter.

"So how are you feeling about the move in?" he asks.

"Pretty good. I'm excited to meet the rest of the team."

"We're always glad to have a new face- less work for the rest of us," he jokes.

You chuckle. "Well I hear you guys are working people well into their 100's, you should really let those guys retire."

"Well I can only speak for myself, but the old age hasn't quite caught up with me yet. Bucky on the other hand..." he trails off, snickering at his friend who was the very definition of a grumpy old man.

"Ah," you shrug. "He's not that bad. He does have the grumpy part down pat."

"That he does," he laughs for a moment before deciding to meddle on his friend's behalf, "But you and Bucky? You're pretty good friends too."

"Yeah!" you agree. "It took him a while to come around, but you know..."

"I do know," Steve snickers, carefully watching your reaction, but you seemingly remain unaware of Steve's probing."He likes having you around."

"After all those missions together, I'd hope so," you quip, staring at the landscape through the large glass windows.

"Do you?"

"Like having James around?" you ask, turning to look at Steve. "Of course I do. He's a good friend."

"That's good. He's not much of a people person anymore, I'm glad he still knows how to make a friend."