The Outside

"Sam, come on!" you insist again, following Sam right on his heels.

"I already told you no," he calls over his shoulder, picking up his pace to escape your relentlessness. This was a conversation that you'd been desperate to have and he desperate to avoid. Using a gust of wind, you slam the door shut, cutting off his only exit and leaving Sam with no choice but to stop and talk to you.

"But why not? Steve and Tony think I'm ready!"

"I really hate when you do that," he mutters, staring at the door that was just closed in his face.

"Well if you'd stop and talk to me, I wouldn't have to. Now why not? Everyone else thinks I'm ready," you repeat.

"Well I don't!" he exclaims, finally turning around to look at you.

"Why can't you just trust me?" you quietly ask, the hurt clear on your face and voice.

You'd been living at the Compound for just over two months, you were getting along with everyone great. You were going on missions frequently, some even without Sam- a big step considering you were almost always by his side. Every thing was going great, and Steve told you he thought you were ready for a small solo mission, you eagerly agreed. There was only one small problem, you weren't capable of making that decision for yourself. You were still an asset, and Sam had to be the one to sign off on it. You brought it up once, and Sam told you he'd think about it. And then he proceeded to avoid you, to use any and all means to keep this conversation from happening.

"I do trust you. I just think you're rushing into it."

"I'm not! I'm ready. And I want to go!"

"You asked and I gave you my answer: no."

"You're not even listening to me. You're treating me like a baby," you argue, feeling like you were back in the original days of your trio where Sam and Bucky's overprotectiveness kept you firmly placed on the sidelines.

"I'm not treating you like a baby. I'm treating you like a person who is not ready for this kind of mission," he states, now getting visibly frustrated. He couldn't stop thinking about it, missions with Steve were different- he could trust Steve to keep you safe. But all alone, no one watching your back, it wasn't something he was prepared to put you through.

"But you won't even let me try. Come on, I've gone on plenty of missions with you and James. I've even gone with Steve before-"

"I already said no. That's my answer, and it's not going to change by you standing here talking my ear off."

"But why not?!" you beg, desperately trying to prove yourself to him and everyone else on the Compound.

"Because I said so!"

You angrily exhale. "You can't just 'because I said so' me, Sam. That's not fair!"

"Well I just did," he angrily remarks.

"Well then... I'm mad at you!" you declare, tightly clenching your fists.

"You're going to be mad because I won't let you go?" he questions.

"Yes," you fume. "It's official, I'm mad at you!"

"Fine then, be mad. It's not going to change my mind."

"Then I'm going to be mad somewhere else. I'm going outside," you huff, turning on your heels in anger.

"How long are you going to need?" he calls, watching as you storm away from him.

"15 minutes!" you shout over your shoulder.

"15 minutes, not as bad as I thought," Sam quietly mutters to himself as he sets a timer on his phone.