Chapter Thirty-Two: Pride

The following Monday, Ava, Lilly, Lucas, and Rose are all huddled around Lilly's phone, looking at the pictures from Saturday.

There's an, "Aww" that comes from Lucas and Rose every few pictures.
"These are the cutest pictures I have ever seen!" Rose comments.

Lucas is smiling with an almost proud look in his eyes, a look that is justified.

As much as she wanted to murder him back in December, Lucas' obnoxious attempt at being Lilly's wingman proved to be helpful in the long run.

Without it, she wouldn't be where she is right now, showing off pictures from her and Ava's first date.

Rose, in a way, looks proud, too.
Their proud of Ava in the way that Lucas is proud of Lilly.

Rose and Ava didn't talk about romance as much as Lucas did with Lilly, but the little they had talked about everything did help a lot.

And it seems almost funny to look back to where everything started.
To think that after all the years of pining and rambling to Lucas and Rose about how oblivious Ava is, Ava is actually her girlfriend now and they went on a date, and they're going to go on more dates.
It's insane to think about.

It makes Lilly proud, too.
She's proud of herself for getting the guts to tell Ava how she feels, even if she told her through not ideal circumstances.

She wishes she could have told her on a warm spring day at sunset, with a cool breeze rustling in the trees.

But she had told her abruptly with a kiss on a brutally cold winter day.

Nevertheless, she confessed her feelings and now the two of them are here, in love.
In love as girlfriend, an official thing, a couple.

And that fills her with pride.

Ava is proud of herself in a different sense.
She did one of the hardest things for her, communicating.

She communicated all of her winding and twisting and mind-bogglingly confusing feelings to Lilly, which earned her something she never thought she'd have.

She never thought she would have a special someone.
The fact that her special someone is Lilly makes her heart even more giddy.

That makes her proud, really, really proud.