Some Things Never Change

A person's true nature always sticks their back like a nasty black stain no matter how much one tries to evade it. 

The truth of the soul can be denied. 

Hidden.

Loathed.

Disillusioned with.

But It can not be altered.

You are who you are.

Some people are good.

Kind.

Friendly.

And.

Some people are mean.

Harsh.

Cold.

Manipulative.

Completely out of your control.

This was a fact Kei was forced to recognize from an rather young age. Humans are irrational creatures which are wired to resist change. In any form or shape. Funnily enough this was true of her too. Whether she wanted it to be or not.

An inevitable shackle of her human existence.

World as a whole was predominantly selfish and greedy. The radiant light of kindness and empathy was diminishing with every passing second spent in this capitalistic world. We are all mindless robots bound by the rules and standards of an inhumane society, that existed to serve the powerful.

It was always kill or be killed.

She had been killed.

She had been the killer.

But nothing ever changed.

She was the same since the day she entered the adult world five years ago.

Just shell of a human who had had enough of humans.

Someone who deemed change impossible for herself and everyone.

**********

Tatsuya Aoi was an indecipherable existence in Kei's life.

A remotely related older cousin. She was the only living relative of hers who had wished to associate themselves with a newly orphaned Kei.

While Aoi's parents vehemently opposed Aoi having any sort of contact with Kei, it didn't seem to bother Aoi the least.

When Kei's grandmother died, Aoi had pleaded desperately with her parents to take her in with them. But the words of an seventeen-year-old are rarely taken seriously in an Asian household. Her parents wanted nothing to do with a random kid that they had seen thrice in family gatherings.

"Kei, Go to ANHS. When you come back, I will be a fully functional adult. I will take care of you." Aoi put forth, with a strange seriousness sparkling in her forest green eyes even though she was only three years older than Kei.

"I don't understand. Why..." Kei gazed at Aoi, dumbfounded at her words.

Aoi smiled warmly, displaying her pearly white teeth and cute dimples that pop out of her red cheeks.

"Because we are cousins. What other reason do I need?" Aoi said with a cheeky smile.

Those eyes glanced at Kei with something she had never witnessed before. An alarming warmth which could gobble her up in an instant.

Kei had never felt more welcome in her life.

Back then, It had been a mystery to Kei as to why Aoi been so determined to save her as if she was one of her own kind. They were no childhood friends. Nor close classmates. They didn't even know that they were related to each other a day before.