Carnivorous Flowers

Kei's POV

I woke up with an earth-splitting headache. Pain was dancing before me like a ballerina, erupting in soft and swift flashes.

When my eyes greeted the light after facing the dark abyss for so long, the brightness violated my vision. I shut my eyes immediately, wounded by the intensity of it.

When the relentless attack finally came to a halt, a bright blue ceiling materialized. and my breath stilled in my throat, catching hold of a sight I had never encountered before. There would be nothing particularly spectacular about it, if not for how inseparable the shade of the ceiling was from my own irises. While it could have merely been a coincidence, I couldn't shake off the eerie feeling that set in my stomach. 

The momentary confusion gradually dissolved into anxiety. Thoughts run million miles an hour in my head as I coursed through the thick tendrils of my memories. 

Slowly I began to recollect. Thundering footsteps. Emotionless face. Clenched jaw. Golden brown eyes flashed upon me as the memories came crashing down on me like a bolt of lightning on a sunny day. Abrupt, mysterious and overwhelming. The high walls I built with years of hard work didn't stand a chance against the tsunami of conflicting emotions that override my mind. 

I rose immediately.

It was then I observed a hazy figure through my peripheral vision. A figure that sent chills down my spine despite the blurriness woven in it. It was unmistakable. Unforgettable. A ghost of the past was dangling before my eyes, still withholding the heart that was mine.

I gasped.

A fragment of my once complete heart resurfaced, being in the all too familiar presence of its master, who had been cruel enough to forsake it. Images of the endless futures I had dreamed with him, loomed over me, drowning me in their majestic waves of resentment. Shallow waves of vulnerability followed, carrying hope that was soon swallowed by the betrayal bubbling at my heart.  

He was sleeping. At least he seemed to be. Seated on a cozy cushion right beside the bed.  His head, leaning against the wall, set in a position from where he could comfortably oversee the bed. Half of his face was hidden by his arm which supported his head. Another half was a hauntingly beautiful tragedy, destined to ruin her anew. His posture was unusually relaxed for a trained killer like him. Like he was right where he was meant to be. Right where he belonged. With me.

Before I could make an attempt to get out of bed, those golden-brown eyes sprung back to life, sucking my own into them. They didn't seem shaken by the sudden influx of information, that came with being awake. They appeared rather prepared, as they gazed upon every inch of me and more, deeply resembling the stare of a predator intimidating its prey into submission.

I stared back.

I stared back helplessly, uncontrollably. There was no higher power that could have me break my gaze with him at that moment. The glorious castles I had built for myself to soothe his abandonment, crumbled like sandcastles met with a surging wave. The ideas I had imprinted upon me in hopes of erasing his indestructible traces in me were washed away with the first fall of his rain, which conquered my senses with barely a fight.

I had always known. I was shackled by him. Cursed by him. Whether he stood before me or not, I was destined to bear him in my heart, no matter what ruins remained of it in the process. After all, I was his. I had surrendered my soul to the devil and there was no way to take it back.

Noo. Noo. Fuck that. I wouldn't let him get to me.

With a great burst of energy, I ripped the blankets off me and make a run for the door. My ghastly feet slumped against the floor as I breezed the room. When the doorknob settled in the palm of my hand, I knew my freedom was near.