Irrevocable Damage

After high school, life had been treating Kei reasonably well. She decided not to go to college and managed to a land a job in the sales department as a supervisor with a surprising ease. Although it had been difficult to pass the requirement tests which had taken her an whole year of studying and waitressing, she was truly content to bag a job at a famous multi-national co-operation, which specialized in fashion, something she really liked.

It made life feel a lot more tolerable now that she possessed the financial freedom to do things the way she liked to. Sure it took lots of fake smiling but the control over her life was worth it.

But no control is invincible under the mysterious hands of nature.

One thing lead to another and Aoi ended up residing with her for the last three years.

She could tell moment she saw Aoi again at her doorstep. Those half-dead eyes gazing back at hers had been all too familiar, awakening something in her that she had barely managed to suppress in two years' time. It was not a battle she could win.

While Kei did not want to associate herself with anyone during this period, something about Aoi's situation resonated with the broken shell she called her heart. As a victim of abuse, she couldn't bring herself to abandon another victim just like her. Especially when it was her lovely cousin who had been the singular existence she could call her family.

Somehow, now Aoi was not here trying to take care of her. She was the one who needed the care.

Aoi was forsaken by her family and society. Much like her. Even though it was no responsibility of hers to take Aoi in, she couldn't leave her behind. With time, Aoi slowly seemed to get better.

A lot had happened in these five years since school. Slowly but surely, as the seasons passed, the remnants of the past began to fade away with it, bringing in new spring breeze.

The past tormented Kei much lesser now. In fact, she had moments where she began to forgot its existence. New changes arouse deep within her, covering the gaps left in the wake of the heartbreaking betrayal. She was beginning to feel what some people called "fine". Sure she was still not ready to trust anyone but she had untangled herself from the dreadful past and finally had a clean slate to work with.

That was all she had ever wanted.

The ability to break past the shackles of her past.

************

"That bastard he is making us wait on purpose, isn't he?" 

The newly appointed Minister of Defense, Ryuuen Kakeru, spoke harshly, having had enough of waiting. Somehow, the act of waiting with the other ministers resembled a scene of little children waiting outside the principal's office. It was needless to say that it irked him extremely.

"Impatient as always, aren't you? I sometimes wonder how a blockhead like you ended up graduating from Class A." Sakayanagi Arisu commented nonchalantly, sipping her tea like she didn't just drop a bomb on the goddamn floor.

This of course in all its essence was a provocation. And it was not left unanswered.

"Kukuku. I thought only your legs were useless. It appears your brain doesn't function either. Don't you remember your pathetic loss to me in the Final Special Exam?" Ryuuen uttered, his magenta eyes glinting with an invitation of a challenge which Arisu profusely refused, retreating as if she didn't start this in first place.

Ryuuen was not pleased.

Just when things reached the boiling point, Ichinose interrupted the nasty flow of the conversation.