25 | The lead up pt2

...

"Scared? Good. We don't grow when we stay inside our comfort zones."

...

"Noel? Is that you?"

The man smiles at the sound of her voice, dropping his keys onto the table by the door and shrugging off his jacket. "Yeah, it's just me." He answers.

Her head peeks out of the doorway at the end of the hall, smiling and waving him over. "Come here, i need you to try something for me." She says, disappearing back into the kitchen, Noel quickly making his way over. 

Emily smiles as arms wrap around her waist, a kiss being pressed to her cheek. She hums in content, turning around to embrace her fiancé and return the gesturing, placing a soft kiss to his lips. "Hi." He smiles down to her.

"Hi." She echoes, quickly pressing one last kiss to his cheek before turning back to her work. "Try one of those and tell me what you think." She orders, pointing to the fresh batch of cookies that sat cooling on the counter.

He nods as he picks up the treat, inspecting it before taking a bite, humming in satisfaction. "Mmm. Chocolate chip?"

"And peanut butter." She adds. "It's a new recipe. Are they good?"

"Very." He assures, picking up another to eat after finishing the first.

Emily laughs slightly, shaking her head at him. "Thank you, and as much as i appreciate your love for my baking, you're not allowed to eat anymore of these." She tells him, picking up the pan and placing it on the counter farthest from the man who objects, moving to follow the baked goods though she is quick to block his path. "Noel, they're for the shop. I just needed another opinion on if they are good enough to serve and i know you'll tell me the truth."

"But they're too good to not share!"

"That's why i will be sharing them," He smiles, making a move to walk around her but she grabs his arm and pulls him back. "With my customers, not you."

"Come on," He complains with a childish pout. "Just one more?"

Emily shakes her head, playfully pushing him back before turning back to where she was making another batch. "No." She denies. "But if you're extra nice to me today I'll make you a batch of your own later."

Noel grins, kissing her head in thanks before leaning on the counter beside her, sighing as he prepares to bring up the topic of his family. "There's something i need to talk to you about."

Emily, noticing the shift in the mood turns to her fiancé in concern, concern in which only worsens at the torn up look on his face. "What's wrong?" She asks, head tilting in worry.

Taking a deep breath Noel begins his explanation, telling the story of his family, who they had lost and who he had left and how he was now trying to fix it. He told her how over the last month he had been looking for his brother's, only being successful in finding two, and how he wanted to go search for the other and the twins. He brought up the subject of Ian and explained what he had thought about the situation - how he had refused to help and then about how Ashlyn was the one to offer her assistance instead. And finally, he asked her thoughts, her take on it all and if she would help him.