34 | Judging The Risk

...

"Let's meet again for the first time."

...

"A birthday party?"

"A birthday party?"

"Yes." Ian nods, sharing a wary glance with Noel as they wait for their sister's answer.

"No."

"No?"

"Yeah, no." She nods, pushing past them with no further explanation.

"You can't just say no-"

"I can and I did."

"But-"

"No is a full sentence, Ian." She says, his name coming out as a warning. "Take it as one."

"Okay, but could you maybe hear me out first? Before shutting me down?" Ian pleads, taking the few steps to follow her to the kitchen. "It'll be worth it, Wills. Just hear me out."

Willow rolls her eyes with an annoyed huff, waving for him to continue on. "Hurry then, before I change my mind."

"I want to throw you and Wes a birthday party-"

"Yeah, sorry, still no."

"You didn't even let me finish." Ian couldn't help but scoff.

She shrugs. "It'd still be a no either way."

"See, you can't say that until you know what you're rejecting."

"I already know what I'm rejecting." Willow insists.

Ian hums. "Oh really? What is it then?"

"A bad idea." She states, turning to Noel when he snorts at their brother's futile attempts. "What are you laughing at? I'm rejecting you and your bad idea, too."

"But mine is a great idea." He argues.

"Coming to school with me?" She scoffs, turning her back to him. "They don't even know I have a brother apart from Wes, so there's no way they'd let you get involved."

"We won't know that unless we try." Is his defense, one Willow is quick to assure was wrong.

"You'll only make things worse, okay? I'm fine waiting for Victoria to get back. We'll deal with it then." She insists. "And what did I say about staying out of my business, huh? Do you just ignore everything I say, or do you just have a horrible memory?"

"Neither, I just-"

"Don't respect me?"

"No! I- I just mean... I want to help."

"So I've heard." She rolls her eyes, dropping a pan of nuggets onto the counter, their dinner on the demand of Skyla. "If you want to help, just leave it alone, alright? It's nothing for you to worry about and I don't need, or want, your help."