27 | A Flower & it's Thorn

(Italics = flashback)
...

"A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom."

...

"Well isn't this fun

"Well isn't this fun."

"Shut up."

Sasha raises her hands in surrender, an amused grin stretching across her lips as she raises an eyebrow at Jayden DeLaCruz, the man glaring at her. He really didn't like her.

"Jayden." Noel and Phoenix warn, nudging his sides.

"Why don't you shut up, Jay?" Willow snaps back, brown eyes sharp with a glare. "You're already on thin ice, might wanna make sure it doesn't break."

Sasha smirks, leaning back on her arms and resting her head on Willow's shoulder. "I'd listen to her if i were you, otherwise you might ruin your last chance and that'll just hurt all three of you. We wouldn't want that now, would we? Not after putting in all this hard work and effort." She taunts, raising her eyebrows at him as if daring him to go on. 

Wes groans annoyedly. "Sasha." 

"What?" She chuckles, turning to the boy with her usual look of unbothered. "I'm only kidding around."

Sophia sighs, sending her friend a pointed look accompanied with a silent plea for her to stop her provoking behavior. "Sash, can we please just get along for today?" She begs, wanting nothing more than to keep the peace. 

The Paris girl shrugs, letting herself lay back, arms behind her head acting as a pillow as she looks up at the bright blue sky. "I'm just teasing, if he can't take it that's on him." She states, eyes falling closed as she takes in a deep breath, a content sigh leaving her at the feel of the fresh and cool air. "Besides, from everything I've heard he used to be the one to joke around ⏤ tease and mock. But then again that was what, eight years ago? I guess time really does change people."

"You all would know." Jayden says, eyes zeroing in on the twins, flickering to the Hansley boy who stood at the playground with Skyla, a kid who he also used to be close with. "You two, maybe three, especially."

"Excuse me?" Willow's tone takes offense, eyes narrowing.

"Well, back then you guys were these innocent kids, so full of life and love ⏤ joy and light. Then we leave for a few years and you turn into this?" He scoffs, gesturing to the two he couldn't recognize, settling for just another glance in Cameron's direction. "These miserable, damaged kids, who smoke and drink and find fun in ruining themselves. I could say a lot more but I won't. Instead, though, i will ask a question. What happened to you?"

"You did." Wes answers through a bitter laugh. "We were kids when you left ⏤ correction, when you abandoned us." He spat out at him. "We were kids back then, but we're not anymore. We grew up. That's what happened."