Chapter 3

2002

She exhaled her breath loudly. Her heartbeat increased as she stared at the large house infront of her.

There were many men and women around the house. Saniyadhanam stepped out of the car and grinned at her causing her to swallow her saliva audibly.

" Uncle! Where's the aarti tray ? Won't my sister feel as though I hate her if she isn't welcomed properly?" Saniyadhanam said with a sharp smile.

" It's not proper to do that as she is in her mourning period," their uncle said while Saniyadhanam chuckled.

" She is not in mourning period anymore. What's there to mourn for ? She is now an official member of our clan," Saniyadhanam said and barked out his order.

Arakodi wiped her eyes as she eyed the maid who looked at her curiously as she circled the tray infront of her face. Once the woman applied tilak on Arakodi's forehead, Saniyadhanam gripped her hands tightly and began walking into the house.

The young man brought her into a small hallway. She furrowed her eyebrows as she saw a figure sitting on the rocking chair. Puffs of smokes surround the figure as the chair rocked softly.

Arakodi coughed as the smoke entered her nostrils while Saniyadhanam gave an amused smile as he pushed her forward.

" The family is now complete grandpa!" Saniyadhanam grinned widely while the old man grabbed a small silver bowl and spit out the paan.

Arakodi wrinkled her nose as she watched the old man wiping the pain residue on his shirt. He then beckoned her to come closer causing Arakodi to stumble slightly as Saniyadhanam pushed her towards the man.

Her eyes widened as the man gripped her cheeks tightly, inspecting her face left and right. She quivered slightly seeing the man's intent look.

" She looks just like her wh*re mother," the elder man spat out and let her go causing her to stumble away.

" Did you mother have any other spawn ?" The elder man hissed at Arakodi who sniffled and shook her head.

She watched as Saniyadhanam walked towards the old man and hand him another paan. The man grinned widely showing his stained teeth at his grandson who grinned back.

" Bring her away," the old man said dismissively causing a few men who were scattered around to walk forward.

Arakodi exhaled her breath and stared at one of the man who nudge his head causing her to gulp and walk away following the men.

They walked up the stairs and then straight until they made a sharp turn to the left. Arakodi watched as they got further away from the main house.

She pursed her lips together as the man brought her down a flight of stairs and then made an immediate turn to the right.

He pointed towards a red door and told her that's her room.

" What about Kalichan ?" Arakodi asked the man who narrowed his eyes at her.

He let out a snort and turned around, barking out instruction at another subordinate who nod his head.

Arakodi thanked him softly and then proceed to walk towards the room. She pushed the rickety door and stepped inside the bare room.

Her eyes widened as she saw the cobwebs on the wall. She coughed as she stepped further into the dusty and dirty room. Her nimble fingers pushing the cobwebs away before opening the large windows.

Kalichan barked and trotted towards her causing Arakodi to hug him tightly as tears dropped on his dirty brown fur.

" It's us against the world Kalichan," she murmured softly against his body while the dog licked her hands.