Chapter 5

2000

It was a day before the new year's begins. The house was bustling with preparation to celebrate the new year's eve that evening.

Arakodi watched from the kitchens as the ruffians gathered around 30 goats at the backyard.

" Girl! Go bring this pail, catch the goats blood!" The elderly cook said causing Arakodi's eyes to turn wide while her face turned pale.

The bile raised from her stomach causing her to cover her mouth and ran outside while the cook cursed her name out.

Arakodi retrenched out the bile and cough as she closed her eyes. The screams of the goats reached her ears causing her to place her hands on her ears tightly as she tried to push the sounds out.

" Girl!" A rough voice boomed causing Arakodi to gasp and stumble. The large man eyed her up and down before shooing her towards the kitchen.

The cook glared at the girl and barked out orders to cut the freshly butchered meat causing Arakodi to swallow her bile and began working on the blood covered meat.

" Where's that girl ?" A loud voice called causing Arakodi to turn around. She pursed her lips seeing the imp, her brother's favourite henchman.

" Grandfather wants to see you!" The imp said and tapped on his feet. Arakodi swallowed her saliva and stood up, following the imp silently.

_____________________________________________

2022

It was another long day or rather night. There wasn't a single soul in the station except for her and Kumar, the head constable.

She laid her head on her hand and closed her eyes. Her ears prickled hearing the sound of Kumar's snoring and the rickety ceiling fan.

That instant the alarm of the patrol car began blaring causing both Kumar and her to jump out from their seat. She quickly tucked her stray hair behind her ears and walked towards the entrance of the station. She stood straight and saluted the man who strode inside while a few policemen begin ushering a group of prostitutes into the station.

Her eyes widened slightly, a small tinge of pink appeared on her cheeks as the prostitutes smiled and winked at her before walking away. A transgender smirked and walked towards her causing her to gulp and look apprehensive while the transgender began to smile leery. The transgender reached out and touched her cheek causing her to flinch while the offender laughed.

" You bloody sl*t! What are you doing!" A policeman shouted while another took her hand and pushed her away slightly before smacking the transgender's face.

" Benita!" Officer Nathan James barked as he stepped out from his room.

She quickly adjusted her hair and hurried over towards the man while the transgender and the other prostitutes laughed.

" Bloody sl*ts! Shut the hell up!" Kumar and the other subordinates shouted as they banged the lathi on the bench.

" If we are sl*ts, then what about her ?" The transgender said with a leery smile causing Nathan James to frown.

He stalked towards the transgender and grabbed a fistful of the hair, jerking the hair. Benita's eyes widened while the other prostitutes gasped as they watched the wig falling out from the man's hair. Nathan James narrowed his eyes and twisted the man's shoulder when he tried to escape.

Kumar and the others began dragging the man to prison cubicle. Soon shouts of pleas was heard causing Benita to press her lips together as she tried to calm herself. Nathan James came out of the cell, drenched with sweat. His knuckles were bruised and slightly bloody. He took his spectacles out and wiped the sweat on his forehead before nudging his head to the side, signalling Benita to follow him.

" What was that? Why did you not stop him ?" Nathan asked causing Benita to swallow her saliva.

" I froze..." she mumbled and Nathan raised his eyebrows as he poured two cups of water. He slide a cup to Benita and began drinking from the other cup.

" Do you like working here Benita ? Where woman are always judged and discriminated ?" Nathan asked and told her to drink the water.

Benita sipped the water and wiped her mouth. She looked at Nathan and exhaled her breath.

" The job pays me well Sir. That's all that matters," Benita said causing Nathan to chuckle.

" What if there's another offer ?" Nathan said looking at Benita.

Benita furrowed her eyebrows as she eyed the man with a skeptical look. Nathan exhaled his breath and pulled his drawer open. He took out a brown envelope and slide it towards Benita.

" Your shift is over now, you can go back now. Let me know whether you will accept the offer or not," Nathan James said and turned away.

Benita swallowed her saliva as she shakily reached towards the envelope while the man had walked away towards his cabinet and pulled put a whiskey bottle. He turned around and raised his eyebrows at Benita who saluted him and walked away shakily.

She quickly walked towards her table and grabbed a small plastic bag and hurried away to the restroom. Benita splashed the water on her face and gargled her mouth as she eyed her reflection on the dirty and cracked mirror.

" One minute!" She said when the door was knocked. She quickly bundled her police uniform and opened the door, smiling sheepishly at another policewoman before walking away.

" Leaving so soon?" Kumar asked as he raised his eyebrows while sipping a cup of chai.

" Nathan sir told me to leave," Benita mumble as she chucked the uniform into another bag. Kumar nod his head and turned away to talk with another constable. Benita quickly slide the envelope into the bag.

She carried and placed her  yellow faded bag with an embroidery of scorpion with butterfly wings on her shoulder. When she walked out of the station, she untied her bun and covered her head with her shawl.

The station was still empty when she walked inside. A few man were hanging around the teastall infront of the train station. A few joggers were running past her as she walked along the skyway. Like a moth among the butterfly, her bag and stature attracted the attention of one man in particular.

Amar's eyes widened as he spot the bag. He furrowed his eyebrows and turned his body and began following the woman as she walked towards the other side of the station.

He cursed his luck when he realise that he didn't bring his wallet while the woman had walked into the train. He watched as the train departed with a curious face and resolute mind while Benita was unaware of this new wolf eying her.

___________________________________________________

Sorry for the late updates everyone. I was busy with some personal and unexpected work.

Hope everyone enjoys this story.