Chapter 17

Lauren

I placed my handbag on the couch and massaged my neck for a moment. I sat on the couch as I was feeling a lot tired to even move into my room.

I don't know if it's tiredness or just my usual laziness.

I waited for Ethan as he went straight to his study after he got a call.

I sat on the couch humming a song to myself for five minutes and then stood up to walk into my room.

I was about to open the door to my bedroom when someone gripped my arm harshly from behind and spun me around.

I raised my head and looked up to see Ethan's red eyes.

He held my arms harshly and pulled me closer to him till we are just inches apart.

I gulped when I saw his angry expression.

This 'Ethan' was nowhere near to the 'Ethan I laughed with' just a few minutes before.

"When were you going to tell me?" he fumed at me.

I frowned at his raised voice.

"What?" I tried asking but he just pulled me closer glaring hard at me.

"When. Were. You. Going. To. Tell. Me?" he stressed the words and I gulped listening to his cold voice.

"I don't unders-" he scoffed at me and left my arms harshly.

I took two steps back at the impact.

"Don't act smart Lauren. Didn't you open one of the drawers I locked in my study?" he asked glaring at me and my heartbeat stopped for a second.

How did he know?

I know I should've just minded my own business.

Just when I think something good is happening between us, this has to happen.

"I-I don't know what y-you're talking about." I lied quickly and he just blinked at me exasperated.

"Don't you dare lie to me, Lauren" He warned me and I looked up for a second before looking down.

"I-I-mean I-" I stuttered till I heard his voice.

"ANSWER ME DAMMIT!" He yelled at me and I looked down breathing hard.

"I-I did. I op-opened it but I didn't know that it would be this important, Ethan. I'm sorry." I said trying to mend the damage I did.

"IMPORTANT!? I locked the damn thing, Lauren. It's locked for a reason. I locked it for my own privacy. Are you this dumb to not understand what I'm saying?" He growled at me and I looked down not to let any tears fall.

"I'm sorry. I just- I didn't-" I cleared my throat but he cut me off again.

"Stop it, Lauren. I don't want to listen to any more lies from your mouth." He accused me and I frowned looking up at him.

"I didn't mean to lie or anything, Ethan. I was just -" his voice interrupted me again this time.

"You were just WHAT?" he growled at me taking a step towards me and I couldn't face him so took a step back.

He stared at me for a moment and I couldn't even look up as I know what I did was a mistake.

"Just when I think we are going somewhere in this crap thing called 'relationship', You had to do this. You ruined it even before it started, Lauren." He said looking at me disappointed.

Disappointed?

The emotion which haunts me in my nightmares.

I always thought I am not good enough to my parents.