Chapter 50

Writer's POV

15 hours ago...

Elena, Ethan's mother, sat at the beach staring at the sea but not really seeing it. The waves clashed fiercely at the shore like always. And for some reason, the waves resembled Elena's sadness.

With a sigh, she opened the bag beside her and brought out a small piece of paper.

Today was Elena's birthday. But since past few years, it has been only her on her birthday. Since her husband's death, at least. No one else even remembers her birthday. At least not the people she likes.

Before, she had everything. Her family fought with each other to wish her first on her birthday and now no one even remembers her birthday.

She sighed before looking down at the piece of paper and a short genuine smile greeted her lips.

It was a birthday greeting Ethan made for her birthday when he was ten. His messy handwriting and flawed portrait of her is the only comfort she got right now. She reminisced the moment she cherished in her heart.

Ten-year-old Ethan ran into the dining room where his mom and dad were having breakfast.

Seeing their little bundle of joy running towards them, Elena and William laughed looking at each other.

"Mom, happy birthday" Ethan came towards Elena and jumped in her arms making her laugh.

"Happy birthday to the best mom in the world." Ethan spoke with a huge grin hugging his mother tight.

"Thank you, my sweetheart." Elena's eyes welled looking at her sweet son. He looks so proud of himself that he remembers her birthday and she can see the love for her in his eyes.

"Did I wish you first, mom? Tell me I wished you first." Ethan looked up giving her puppy eyes and who can deny that adorable face. Definitely not Elena.

"Yes baby, you wished me first." She lied ignoring the fake glare from her husband. It's her son. She can lie a bit if it makes him happy.

"Yay!!!" Ethan jumped in his place hugging his mom tighter than before.

"Mom, I made something for you." he pulled back from the hug to look at his mother and before she could even ask him, he ran away from the room and returned a minute later with something in his hands.

Ethan stood in front of his mother and showed his mother, his creation that he did sneakily in his room last night, past his bedtime.

Elena frowned for a moment before taking the paper from his hands and looked at it. It was a drawing of Elena where she was kissing Ethan on the cheek while William stood a few feet away with a camera in his hand, as if he is clicking their picture.

The drawing was not perfect at all, it was a very flawed drawing but it still warmed Elena's heart. It felt like that was the best gift she has received till now. The happy birthday to the best mom note at the bottom of the page brought a huge grin on her face. William smiled at Ethan's love for his mother.

"This is so beautiful, dear. I love it." Elena spoke cherishing the birthday card in her hands and Ethan smiled proudly at her words.

"It's beautiful. but Ethan, is this me?" William laughed looking at himself in the paper where he looked like a balloon with a face and short hair.

"Dad, don't laugh!!!" Ethan complained while William continued laughing.

"Will!" Listening to Elena, he stopped laughing and crouched in front of his son.