Chapter 42

Lauren

I turned to look at Ethan while the elevator was riding up to our penthouse to get any hint of the surprise he mentioned earlier.

Curiosity killed me inside, and I was dying to know what the surprise was about. But his face didn't give away anything except a handsome smirk. I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously. Hmm...Interesting.

"We are already here. why don't you tell me at least now?" I asked him giving my best puppy eyes which I would use often on my father and he always gives in, unlike my mom. My mom is a sore topic to discuss then and now. That didn't change.

He gave me a stare for a good minute and I did a happy dance in my mind thinking he might give in, and he looked like he was about to but changed his mind at the last minute.

"Patience, Lauren."

What? 

Puppy eyes didn't work? I sighed. Then nothing will work anymore.

I tried pulling my hand back from our intertwined fingers, glaring at him but he only tsked at me and tightened his grip on my hand making it impossible for me to pull my hand back.

Although my eyes glared at him for not giving in to my puppy eyes, the corners of my lips lifted up looking our intertwined fingers.

Why is he so cute?

Once we reached the top level, the elevator dinged and we both walked out together and entered the place of residence which became our home, a safe place for both of us lately.

Once we are in, I looked around our home to see any hint of the surprise but found nothing until we walked towards the living room.

A soft gasp escaped my lips when I saw Kate, our cook, standing in the living room before us. Its not Kate that surprised me. It's what she is holding in her arms. Not what, but a who.

No way, this is happening right now.

My eyes couldn't hold its surprise staring at the most beautiful creature in Kate's arms. My gaze went from Kate to the man standing beside me who brought our intertwined hands placing a soft kiss on the back of my hand.

A soft chuckle left my lips at his gesture and I brought my eyes back to the new guest in our home.

Its a puppy.

A golden retriever. Maybe two months old, I guess.

My legs involuntarily took steps towards Kate and the puppy looked up to me lifting its head from the crook of Kate's arm. Big dark eyes clashed with mine and a huge grin greeted my lips looking at the puppy.

"Is it a he or she?" 

I asked Kate looking at the puppy who started throwing his little paws and legs excitedly to get down from Kate's arms and come to me.

"Oh, he is a naughty boy, Lauren." Kate laughed looking down at the puppy in her arms with affection. A short but heartful laugh slipped my lips.

As soon as I stood in front of Kate, the golden furry cute creature brought his moist nose curiously trying to sniff me. I placed my hand hesitantly on top of his head to pet after letting him sniff me and giving him time to know me. 

He happily wagged his tail all the while sniffing me and licking my hands that were petting him and rubbing his top of the head softly. I laughed at his vigorous actions of licking my hands and wrists and slowly I took him from Kate's arms to mine.

I carefully held him in my arms not to give him any discomfort before rubbing his head who still wagged his tail and his soft floppy ears jumped with his every action making me laugh.