Chapter 34

Ethan

"Thank you." I heard Eva say to the waiter once he placed our coffees on the table. The silence was too loud.

I had so much to say, but nothing dared to come out of my mouth.

Talking to Eva wasn't scary, but as Lauren said, I'm good at messing everything up. And that is scary. I can't let that happen again with Eva.

I didn't think this far when I decided to stay away from her. I didn't think it will make Eva hate me. But looking at Eva right now, I clearly am wrong in the whole scenario.

"How is Isobel?" I mustered up the courage to start the conversation.

"Oh, my mom. She is very good. I'm surprised you remember her." Eva gave me a fake smile.

A small smile greeted my lips. She didn't change much. The same feisty girl.

"How long did you know Ryan?"

I asked letting the conversation flow in the other direction. Talking about our past or parents will only make it hard for Eva to talk to me.

"Not long." She answered shortly.

"He was ready to fight with me for you." I chuckled remembering Ryan and My fight.

It's not like Ryan and I never fight. We argue, but it was just about silly things. Nothing serious. There must be something going on if Ryan became serious.

She blinked hard at my answer.

"What?" she looked shocked. I can be wrong, but she looked a bit happy listening to my answer.

Is she happy that Ryan fought for her?

"He did." I nodded my head at her.

"Oh." She looked away from me.

We sat in silence for the next minute before I opened my mouth again.

"You wanted to become a doctor. What changed?" I asked her. When we were children, I remember she used to wear a white shirt and annoyed me till I play the doctor game with her.

"I felt good while defending people. Standing up for them. Saying everything legally that they couldn't say. It made me happy more than studying doctor." She had a soft smile and a distant look while saying this. She definitely loves the law.

"I'm happy," I spoke with a proud look on my face. Let's just say she didn't look that happy, looking at me being proud of her.

"I can see you are very good in life, happily married, running a big company, and one of the richest men. I bet everything is good in your life." She raised her eyebrow at me.

"What was that supposed to mean?" I frowned at her.

"Nothing much. Don't worry." She scowled sipping her coffee.

I sighed looking down at the hot coffee mug in front of me. Although my eyes stayed on the coffee, my thoughts aren't.

The thought of our current bond between Eva and me questioned my sanity. It made me mad, annoyed, angry, and above all sad.

But I also know that I'm the one to blame for how the tables have turned between us. I was the reason for extending the distance between me and her.

"Eva, I'm sorry. I-" I started apologizing.

"Don't say that, brother. It doesn't mean anything now. your sorry isn't going to change anything now. It doesn't heal wounds nor rewrite the past. it's just a waste of energy." She scoffed at me.