ii. 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄

"OH MY GOD

"OH MY GOD. IS THAT REALLY YOU MAY AUSTIN?"

"In the flesh. It's good to see you, Penny."

Penny Benjamin and my mom go way back. Went to high school together, and have been friends ever since. They dreamed of opening a bar together near the Top Gun base where naval aviators can come hang out on their days off. It seems Penny honored my mom's dream, even without her being here.

"This is a nice place." I said looking around. Little planes were scattered across the ceiling, really fitting the name of the bar, The Hard Deck. "My mom would love it here."

"I know she would. Bought it about three years ago, been here ever since." She said while wiping down a glass. "So how've you been, Miss May?"

"Oh you know. Busy." She nodded in agreement. "It's so weird to be here. I honestly thought I would never be back to Top Gun."

"Well life is full of many surprises." she winked.

"Love the policy by the way." I said, eyeing the sign behind her. Disrespect a lady, the navy, or put your phone on my bar: you buy a round.

"Oh speaking of that." Penny hands me a beer. "Enjoy."

Out of the corner of my eye I see a familiar face. No way.

"Well thank you, Penny. I'll catch up with you later. I have some unfinished business I need to take care of."

"Well, Well, Well, Look what we have here." The unmistakable voice of Hangman rings out across the bar as I make my way over to him. "If it ain't Riot herself."

"Miss me, Hangman?" I smirked at him. Phoenix, Hangman, and some other men dressed in their Navy uniforms were scattered around a pool table.

"Long time no see, Riot." Phoenix said as she slung an arm around my shoulder. "Thought I'd never see you again after you ran off after being announced top of our class."

I rolled my eyes. "It's good to see you too, Phoenix. Mind to introduce me to your friends?"

"Jay Ellis, callsign Payback."

"Mickey Garcia. Fanboy."

"Nice to meet you boys. May Austin, callsign Riot." I nodded at them

"Interesting callsign."

"Yeah she got it because she would always complain and start a riot back when we went to Top Gun together." Hangman joked, flashing his unnatural white smile at me.