vii. 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃

ICEMAN'S FUNERAL WAS A BLUR

ICEMAN'S FUNERAL WAS A BLUR. I never really got the chance to meet him, despite his prestigious reputation my father informed me about. Funerals never really are a happy thing for me. Everyone seemed a little shaken. Iceman was a very respected Admiral in the Navy. It doesn't seem right that this man was taken down by throat cancer.

My father and Maverick seemed especially rattled. They flew and knew Iceman first hand. I can't imagine what it's like losing someone you were so close to. Especially Maverick, from what I heard, Iceman was the reason he was still flying for the Navy.

I stood beside Rooster and Phoenix as we watched Iceman's casket go into the ground. We all kept our calm composure, but deep down I think we all feel the same way.

-¯'★'¯-

"CAPTAIN MITCHELL IS NO LONGER YOUR INSTRUCTOR." Admiral Simpson announces. Everyone looks at each other with a questioning look on their face. "As of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target: 4 minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots." Now everyone really is thinking what the hell?

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob questions.

"Well Lieutenant, you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head on collision with a mountain?"

He can't be serious.

"You'll be attacking your target from a higher altitude, level with the North wall. It will be a little harder to keep your laser on target, but you will avoid the high-G climb out."

All of the sudden the radar picks up an F-18 flying to the track.

"Who the hell is that?"

"Maverick to range control." We hear over comms. "Entering point L zone. Confirm green range."

Mavericks back.

"Uhh. Maverick, Range control. Uh, Green range is confirmed..But I don't see an event scheduled for you sir?"

"Well I'm going anyway." Everyone sits up in their chairs, knowing what Maverick was about to do. "Setting time to target, two minutes fifteen seconds."

"2:15? That's impossible." Payback comments.

"File attack point, Maverick's inbound."

We watch the countdown start as Maverick flies through the course. Twisting and turning through the valley, he's going at an impressively fast pace. Everyone is on the edge of their seats, nervous for Maverick.

With 35 seconds to target he begins into the canyon. Everyone holds their breath as he gets closer and closer to the target.

"Bombs away."

He hits the target with 0.16 seconds to spare.

"Bullseye holy shit!" Bob exclaims, standing up. We all let out our breath and celebrated for Maverick. Now we know this mission can be done. But the real question is, can we do it successfully?