iii. 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐌𝐄

Now playing from "Riot's in the sky":

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐌𝐄

0:57 ━━━•──────── 3:59

↻      ◁  II  ▷     ↺

"LIEUTENANT AUSTIN," I hear Captain Maverick's voice over my shoulder

"LIEUTENANT AUSTIN," I hear Captain Maverick's voice over my shoulder. After our short briefing, the aviators made our way outside to our planes.

    "Captain Maverick," I say, turning to him. "It's nice to finally meet you."

    "You as well, I've heard a lot about you when I was stationed with your father." I looked around, but our conversation was made private with all the jet engines whirring around us.

    "Is that so?"

    "Listen, are you sure you're up for this?" He sighs. "I've read your file, Riot. You haven't flown in years."

    "Yeah, I'll be fine." I swallow down my anxiety and muster up the most confident smile I can. "Flying is second nature to me."

-¯'★'¯-

In order to show Maverick our skills, he turned it into a game of evasion. Basic flight maneuver training, dog fighting. Something we were all very familiar with. Basically, it was a game of tag in the air. If you get locked-onto, you're out. And the loser has to do two-hundred pushups, thanks to Payback.

    A couple aviators and I were sitting in the radio room, listening in on coms to what was going on with Phoenix, Bob, and Hangman in the sky. Rooster looked pissed off. He had just finished his set of 200 pushups, but he always looked pissed whenever he had to be in Maverick's vicinity. I of course know why, but I don't know if we are back on good enough terms to ask about it.

I haven't really spoken to him since last night. And last night was just friendly banter. Who knows if he even would want to talk to me. Even though I'm in the same room as him, I miss him. I want to know why he never reached out after Top Gun, but even more than that I want to go back to the way we were at Top Gun.

    "SHIT!" Hangman's voice rings out over the radio.

    I've been listening intently to my fellow aviators, and from what I've gathered, Maverick is not messing around. No one has beat him yet. Everyone so far has had to do the push-up forfeit.

    "That's why we call him Hangman," Phoenix exclaims. Hangman probably just did something really shitty. "He'll always hang you out to dry!"

    "Leaving your wingman? That's a strategy I haven't seen in a while." Maverick says.

    "Phoenix, he just called you a man, are you gonna deal with that?" Hangman retorts.

    "As long as he doesn't call you one."