Chapter 9: The Escape

——————————🔔——————————

Esmeraldo had followed them up a ladder and gasped in awe at their living space.

"What is this place?" He asked.

"This is where we live." Quasimodo said quietly.

Esmeraldo looked at all the crafts and the miniature model of the city they had done.

"Did you two make all of these things yourselves?"

"Most of them." (Y/n) answered.

Esmeraldo touched a hand-crafted chandelier. "This is beautiful. If I could do this, you wouldn't see me dancing in the streets for coins."

"But you're a wonderful dancer." (Y/n) complimented.

"Well, it keeps bread on the table. Although it does help when you have a beautiful dance partner." He glanced over at (Y/n), and gave her a flirtatious smile.

(Y/n)'s cheeks turned red and she looked down at the floor.

"What's this?" He gestured to something covered with a cloth, and both siblings started panicking

"Oh! No please!"

"W-W-We're not finished, we still have to paint them!"

Esmeraldo lifted the cloth anyway and saw two unfinished figurines.

"It's the blacksmith, and the baker!" He chuckled. "You two are surprising people. Not to mention, lucky. All this room to yourselves."

"It's not just us. There's the gargoyles and of course the bells." Quasimodo said.

"Would you like to see them?" (Y/n) asked.

"Yes, of course. Wouldn't we Djali?"

"Follow us. We'll introduce you." Quasimodo and (Y/n) led Esmeraldo to a higher level where all the bells were.

"That's little Sophia. And Jeane-Marie, Anne-Marie, Louise-Marie. Triplets you know." Quasimodo listed.

"And who's this?" Esmeraldo looked up at a giant bell.

"Big Marie." (Y/n) answered.

"Hello!" Esmeraldo yelled into the bell.

(Y/n) giggled. "She likes you. Would you like to see more?"

"How about it Djali?"

Djali just burped in response.

"We'd love to."

"Great!" (Y/n) grabbed his hand and they followed Quasimodo up a ladder. "We've saved the best for last."

The three of them walked to the top of one of the towers and they looked out at the sunset that set over the city of Paris.

"Oh! I bet the King himself doesn't have a view like this." Esmeraldo said.

"The view is beautiful isn't it?" (Y/n) asked.

Esmeraldo looked down at the girl who was still looking at the view and glanced down at their intertwined hands. "Yes, yes it is."