Mission

"I'm Admiral Beau Simpson, I'm the air boss. I believe you know Admiral Bates," Simpson gestures to the older dark skinned man beside him. I nod graciously.

"Warlock, sir." My father greets with what appears more like a question. The Admiral nods agreeing with him as a slight greeting back. "I must admit I wasn't expecting an invitation back."

"They're called 'orders' Maverick. You two have something in common. 'Cyclone' was first in his class in '88.

"Actually, sir, I finished second. I just wanted to manage expectations." The three men's lips curl up slightly as I elbow my father in the gut. He grunts slightly at the unexpected hit making me chuckle. He sends me a side glare to which I smile innocently in return.

Simpson tilts his head narrowing his gaze on me. His eyes wander, surveying my appearance. "I don't believe I know who you are..." he trails off unaware of how to speak to me.

"Not many people do, sir, I'd like to keep it that way." I look to my father who gives me a brief nod before I redirect my attention to the admirals in front of me. "Permission to approach, sir?" Both men nod as I make my way over to them. They stand expectedly holding out their hands to which I shake them both. "Devyn Mitchell, call sign 'Viper,' sir."

As predicted, both of their eyes widen in shock. As Simpson's glances over to Maverick, Bates runs my name. Looking over to the big screen that was recently behind us I see all my information laid out. "Viper, top pilot of your class at Top Gun before you dropped out and took action in helping the Dark Star program. One of the youngest Top Gun Aviators around. Enemy kill count two, I'm impressed." Admiral Bates leans back into his chair. "Tell me Lieutenant, why did you decide to come? You've been out for nearly three years."

I turn the chocolate man a small smile on my face as I say, "when I left Maverick and I made a promise. Wherever he goes I go. If it's alright with you sir I'd like to help in anyway I can with whatever-" I swing my arms around the room not pointing to anything in particular, "-this is."

Simpson and Bates eye each other wearily like they're talking telepathically. In the meantime while they make their decision I find my way back over to my father. The corner of his lip tugs up, not afraid to show his emotions. At last they face us, "alright, you're in. Lieut-"

"Apologies for interrupting Admiral but please just call me Viper. As far as the world is concerned, including the military Maverick over here doesn't have a kid, I'd like it to stay that way unless necessary."

Without hesitation they agree to my terms.

"The target," Bates controls the screen from his side projecting the upcoming mission onto the big screen. We face it as he continues, "is an unsanctioned uranium enrichment plant. Built in violation of the multilateral NATO treaty."

"Uranium produced there represents a direct threat to our allies in the region."

"The Pentagon has tasked us with assembling a strike team and taking it out before it becomes fully operational. The plant sits in an underground bunker at the end of this valley. Said valley is GPS jammed and is defended by extensive surface to where missiles aray. Serving a number of fifth generation fighters which in turn is backed up by a plentiful reserve of surplus aircraft. Even a few old F-14s."

"Seems like we're not the only ones holding onto old relics," I smirk as my dad briefly peers over to Simpson.

Bates sits up straight. "What is your read, Captain?"

I watch as my father nervously but carefully examines the footage. He steps closer as if to get a better look and I do the same. "Sir, normally this would be a cakewalk for the F-35 stealth but the GPS jamming negates that.. the service area threat necessitates a low level. Laser guided strike, taylor made for the F-18 I figure two precision bombs, minimum."