Episode

Trigger warning! This chapter contains intense trauma and signs of PTSD. If too sensitive please skip this chapter. The next one might be just as triggering still dealing with the effects of PTSD

Tom "Iceman" Kasansky

A loving husband.
A loving father.
Etc...

For me... it was just Uncle Ice. A legendary Top Gun pilot you saved my ass more than once. Who supported me through my career. He helped me make it to the top. He was an inspiration. He was and always will be family.

We're standing at the front of the memorial nearest to the casket with tears in our eyes. Dressed in our Navy white uniforms my father and I look tiredly at the coffin. My emotions are all over but I keep it together. Dad places his pin to the front of the casket with me by his side. He gives me a slow nod as I level it pressing it into the wood. We salute as the shots go off. We hold our position as five fighter jets fly over the ceremony. At last we relax.

Everyone gives their condolences to the family but we stay behind for a bit looking at the casket. I can't take it anyone. I fling myself into my dads arms wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. One arm secures my waist while the other grips my back.

"I know we're not supposed to cry but-"

"Let it out," he coos. He rubs my back. My nose is in the crook of his neck and his is in the same for me. I silently sob in my fathers arms as he continues to embrace me. I can feel his tears stain my neck as we continue to hold each other.

Eventually I pull myself away and wipe my dads tears as he does the same for me. Chuckle at the gesture.

I lead myself over to Sarah who accepts me with open arms. "I'm thankful you're here. You know he saw you as his own as well."

"I know. He helped me out of too many situations than he should have."

"I'm glad I caught you before you left. He left something for you in his will and I figured now would be the perfect time to give it to you."

"Before then," I look around hoping for no one to hear me, "did he ever tell you why he gave me Metcalf's call sign?"

She laughs lightly, "I'm some ways you reminded him of the first Viper. Pete was also a thorn in his rear. Your mixed personalities, it seemed fitting. I think it suits you perfectly, Viper."

"Thank you," I laugh, "you said Ice left something to me?"

"Right, give me a second." She walks over to a white chair and behind it is a small duffel bag. She grabs the bag and hands it to me. "Please, open it."

Hesitantly I zip open the bag. What I see inside shocks me like none other. "Woah, Sarah, I can't seriously accept this, this deserves to be with you and the family."

She places her hand on my arm. I look at it as she gives it a little pinch. She pulls me into one last hug whispering in my ear, "you are family, Devyn." With my one free hand I happily hug her back.

Sarah steps back before moving to talk to other people. My dad walks beside me looking over my shoulder. "What do you got?"

I pull the item out of the bag holding it in front of my face. The leather is recently new but it's visible the patches have been transferred onto it. They line the sleeves and front of the jacket. I can see old tears on the patches. Weirdly it's not even mens size. It's a womens. In the front of the chest lies his name in a beautiful font. "When did he find the time to do this?"

He wraps a arm around my shoulder. "It's Ice, he always finds time for family."

I stare in awe.

We head back to base where I slip out of my uniform. I look through my clothes and put on a pare of leggings. Peering at my collection of shirts I decide to take a risk. I slip on a tank top exposing my back.

Walking through the halls I find myself on the main level where a portrait of Ice still hangs on the wall. Walking around I pull out my phone contacting Bradley and Jake.

I put my phone away and glance around the room. It feels as though time stops. Everything feels in slow motion. I slowly begin to walk again this time to the briefing room where I know everyone is waiting for the next assignment.

I step into the room with a glum expression. People greet me but it's all very hazy. My vision blurs and then my mind blanks. I am set back into a trance reliving one of the worst days of my life. Another episode.

"Shit! Left engine is out! Do you copy?"
...
"Head back to base, Lieutenant."
...
"No, I got this." I used a maneuver my father taught me fixing the engine. In moments time I was able to fix it and I was steady again.
...
"Viper we have located two bandits on your three headed your way."
...
Guns... missiles... fire... water...

Water...

A lot of water...

Pain...

Cold. Blood. A lot of blood. I can't feel my legs...

"Thirty three minutes and counting," I whisper to myself trying to keep myself awake as I float helplessly in the water.
...

The hospital...

...
"You may never walk again."
...
"You're wounds are extensive. Can you remember anything that happened?"
...
"Fifty two minutes."
...
"Lieutenant. Viper. You are out of commission until further notice."
...
"Dad," I cry to him, "help me."
...

Six months later

...
"There you go Devyn! Come on, you can do it! Take another step!"
...
"I want to fly, dad."
...
"I know you do sweetie, I know you do." He kisses my forehead as the tears fall.
...
"Dad, can I stay here? I don't want to go back."
...
"You're always welcome here."
...
"Viper, your service has been greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for your career to end so suddenly."
...
"I'm not done yet."

"Shit! Somebody go get Maverick now!"

Darkness.