Phase One

"Time is your greatest enemy."

I avoid my father as we talk to the lieutenants in front of us discussing the next lesson to be taught. I fold my hands in front of me as my father gives the rundown of the first part of the mission. Rooster glares silently in front his seat, not meeting my eye knowing he wouldn't be able to keep up the facade.

"Phase one of the mission will be a low level ingress attacking in two plane teams. You'll fly along this narrow cannon to your target. Radar guided surface to air missiles defend the area. These sams are lethal. But they were designed to protect the skies above, not the cannon below."

Rooster announces from the back stating loud and clear, "that's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try to fly below them."

I smile kindly tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "That's exactly what I'm going to train you to do. On the day your altitude will be one hundred feet maximum. You exceed this altitude, radar will spot you and you're dead. Your air speed will be six hundred sixty knots minimum. Time to target two and a half minutes. That's because fifth generation fighters wait at an airbase nearby. And a head to head with these planes in your F-18's you're dead. That's why you need to get in, hit your target and be gone before these planes even have a chance of catching you. This makes time your greatest admesery."

"So for today's lesson we're going to take it easy on you. Max ceiling three hundred feet, time to target three minutes," I glance around the room not receiving any negative vibes aside from the cocky side of Hangman. "Good luck."

In the air my father monitors from above while I stay back watching if they cross any of the lines. Phoenix and her backseater Bob are first up with their team leader Coyote taking the lead. Bob announces the time, making Phoenix announce having to move quicker. Coyote increases speed but quickly slows down, making Phoenix and her plane go above the ceiling.

"Why are they dead?" I ask rather harshly.

"We broke the three hundred foot ceiling. And the sam took us out."

"No." My dad replies coolly, "why are they dead?"

Coyote cuts in, not allowing Phoenix to take all the blame. "I slowed down and didn't give her a warning. It was my fault."

"There's a reason you didn't communicate with your team."

"I was-"

He is suddenly disrupted by Maverick saying, "what will their families accept at the funeral?"

"No, sir."

"Why didn't you anticipate the turn? You were briefed on the terrain," I ask. She's about to speak but I beat her to it, "don't tell me. Tell it to his family."

The next teams were Fanboy, Payback and Hangman of all people. The leader was pushing his teams limits by speeding faster and not giving them the time of day to catch up. As a result the two seat riders nearly barreled into the wall causing enough time to be taken down by nature itself.

As much as I personally despise Hangman I admire his confidence. Though his ego needs a check up. Why do all the hot guys have to be inconsiderate assholes?

"What happened?"

"Well I flew as fast as I could. Kinda like my ass depended on it."

"And you put your team in danger and your wingman is dead," Rooster deadpanned.

"They couldn't catch up."

The last group we monitored was Rooster, Yale and his back seater. They were far behind on speed despite Yale's confrontation with his leader about the issue. Unfortunately for them they did make it to the target just not in the right time.

"Why are you dead? You're the team leader up there. Why are you, why is your team dead?"

Phoenix has her hand rested on her cheek before removing it and speaking quietly to my father. "Sir, he was the only one to reach the target."

"A minute late. He gave the enemy aircraft time to shoot him down. He's dead."

In disbelief Rooster leers. "You don't know that."

"You're not flying fast enough. You don't have a second to waste."

"We made it to the target."

"And superior enemy aircraft intercepted you on your way out."

Without hesitation Rooster points out, "then it's a dogfight."

I close my eyes pinching the bridge of my nose not believing this is happening again. Another mishap with Rooster and I know shit is going to hit the fan more.

I just started getting closer to Bradley. Infact, the last couple days we've been leaving the base to learn more about each other. Of course my father doesn't have a clue about it since I made it clear to Bradley that my father must not know he knows my involvement with him. The last thing I need is him fucking this up for me.

"Against fifth generation fighters?"

I snap back to reality just as Rooster responds, "yes, we still have a chance."

"In an F-18!"

"It's not on the plane, sir. It's on the pilot."

"Exactly!"

A pregnant silence fills the room as everyone takes in the rough change in demeanor of the almighty Maverick.

"There is more than one way to fly in this mission."

"You really don't get it. On this mission a man flies like a Maverick or a man does not come back. No offense intended."

"Yet somehow you always manage."

I scoff at Hangman's insensitivity. "You know Hangman, being a dick won't make yours any bigger." A collection of students muffle their laughs with little coughs.

He glares, making his bright green eyes turn a deep green. He turns to my father, forcing a small smile. "You know I don't mean to criticize, you're conservative, that's all."

"Lieutenant..."

"Hangman," I warn sternly.

"We're going into combat, son. On a level no living pilot has ever seen. Not even him. That's no time to be thinking about the past."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Rooster," Dad tries to intervene.

"I can't be the only one who knows that Maverick flew with his old man."

I shake my head taking a warning step close to Hangman. "That's enough."

"Or that Maverick was flying with his old man when-"

Just then Rooster launches out of his seat, getting up in Hangman's face. Everyone surrounds them attempting to break them apart. Dad goes for Rooster while I go for Hangman pulling him back by the back of his uniform.

"Hey! Hey! That's enough!"

"You son of a bitch!" Rooster shouts.

"Hey, come on!"

Hangman shags off the hands holding him back. "I'm cool, I'm cool."

"That's enough."

"He's not cut out for this mission."

"That's enough," I step in front of Hangman having our noses nearly touch. My figure blocks his point of view of Rooster and Maverick.

He leans forward a couple centimeters away from my face. His breath fans my face as he smiles wickedly. "You know it. You know I'm right." Hangman casually takes his leave, passing Rooster and dad on the way out.

"You're all dismissed."

What the fuck was that?