Lover

The second we made it back to base we were divided into seperate rooms to be properly looked at. I've hated doctors for as long as I can remember. I'm just crossing my fingers I can get out of here as quick as possible. I am striped of my shirt leaving my upper body partially naked. I hate this part. Questions.

I never wear short sleeves unless it's just my dad and I. I'm always covered in a long sleeve or jacket. I'm never this exposed and I hate it. There are parts of me I like. My upper body isn't one of them.

As I am allowed visitors you can assume who's the first one to visit. My dad enters still in his gear running to my side and taking my hand. He squeezes it reassuringly. He doesn't have to say a word to console me. Just being here is enough.

"Please tell me you brought me a shirt."

"Sorry, I came straight here when I heard you got in."

"But my-"

"Hey," I fiddle with my hands as he speaks to me. I cant meet his eye knowing what it's going to be like. "You need to let go of the past."

"I could say the same thing about you."

He zips his lips refusing to retaliate. "Touché. V, I know you were young when it happened but you shouldn't be afraid to show the scars."

Tears prick the corner of my eyes threatening to fall. "It's not that easy. Three years, Mav." He stays quiet as I lean forward showing him the scars on my back. "Am I cursed?"

A soft smile graces his lips, "no, of course not."

I tilt my head up at him giving him the 'are you kidding me' look. "What's todays date?"

He thinks for a moment before giving up doing the math and checking his phone. His mouth gaps as he stares at the screen. He frowns as his hands drop to his sides.

"You didn't have to be here today, De-"

"We both know why I decided to come here today. This is who I am, Mav." He sighs hearing that nickname once again despite we're alone at the moment.

"No nightmares?"

"No. Couple dizzy spells and flashbacks here and there but only when I'm by myself stressing myself out." We both chuckle.

He soothingly runs circles on the top of my hand making be let out a deserved breath. "You and I are the only ones who know why you really left Top Gun, V. Maybe it's time to talk to someone else about it."

I shake my head profusely, "no, no, no that's not happening. I can't."

"Can't or won't?" I silence myself looking away yet again. "I have to find Rooster, I'll be back to get you out of here, I promise."

With that he leaves my room closing the curtain behind him. I press my fingers to my temples slowly and gently rubbing in a circular feeling a migraine coming on. The curtain peeks open drawing my attention to that and I gap.

Standing in front of me behold is Jake Seresin. And he's holding... flowers? "Since when did you become the sentimental type?"

"When the girl I like had to eject from her plane landing her in the medbay." He steps forward placing the flowers on the counter beside my bed. "How you feeling?" he asks just above a whisper ticking my hair to the side out of my eyes.

"Couple bruises here and there, nothing I can't handle." I smile genuinely.

He smiles looking me over but his eyes seem to stop wandering and lock on one occasion. His mouth gaps. He may have fucked but it was pitch black and I was dressed before he woke. He couldn't see the scars. But now... they're as visible as day and he is currently staring at the one starting on my shoulder. Curiously he turns trying to see how far it goes but as he turns I do too blocking his visual.

"Viper, you can trust me."

I sigh dwelling on the thought. I pinch my eyes close bowing my head down. I open my eyes looking back up to my lover. Shit I just called him my lover. Anyways, I scoot forward slowly pulling my hair to one side. I give him a small nod before he looks at my entire back.

I fight the tears as he stays silent looking over my back. Although they're all smooth and blend with the rest of my skin the color pigment is far different. There's a large line from the top of my spine to the middle of my back. As well as a curvature scar from my right shoulder down to shoulder blade. I flinch slightly when his cool hands run over the lines not realizing he is sitting behind me. Like he did the night before he wraps his arms around my waist. He pulls my back into his chest and I just relax.

His arms fold on the front of my stomach where a bruise has recently formed due to my fall. His chin rests in the crook of my neck making me sigh. "Your scars make you all the more beautiful."

I chuckle softly leaning my head against his. "I appreciate the confidence boost but they have tormented me for the three years."

"Want to tell me what happened?" I tilt my head the other way having myself look over to him. "What?"

"How is it I went from despising you, to liking you, to being comfortable with telling my personal life to you in a matter of a week and a half?"

"I'd like to think it's because of my good looks and charms."

"You were a dick, but your looks on the other hand," I wink.

He rolls his eyes, "shut up."

I sigh heavily before turning back to the previous topic. "Three years ago I was top of my class and one of the youngest graduates here. We had training for a couple weeks to prepare me for a solo mission. I was destined to go overseas and eliminate a easy target," I take a deep breath remembering the events from that day. "I was flying over the ocean to my destination, probably fifteen-twenty minutes from the ship. All of a sudden I had a engine malfunction. Learning half the shit I know from Maverick I used it in real life."

"I was losing control when two enemy aircrafts landed my way. Somehow I managed to take care of them. I don't remember that that much. Though I know they did a number on my plane. I had no choice but to eject. I did but it was a little too late. I was maybe ten feet in the air when my plane blew up. Shrapnel went everywhere including where you saw the scars."

A single tear trickles down my cheek but I quickly shove it aside. "I landed in the water with lacerations scattered all over my body. I was twenty seven at the time. I was waiting for the chopper to pick me up. When they brought me they immediately rushed me to a hospital. Four surgeries, a lot of physical therapy, Maverick had me see a therapist."

"Fifty two minutes," I whisper.

"What was that?" He questions. He gives my body a reassuring squeeze waiting patiently for a response.

I blow out a ragged breath. "I lost function of my legs after about twenty minutes. I was in the water for fifty two minutes before they came for me." I look down at my hands and let out a laugh. "That was three years ago today."

"Viper-"

"Please," I lift a finger, "don't pity me. I made it out. I'm back here. I have you." I force a smile no matter how painful it is.

He turns his head as if to think something through. "How long has Maverick been in your life?"

I shrug coming up with a lie but is also the truth. "All my life. He's been there since the beginning."

"That long?"

"He's basically the only family I have. I was a product of a one night stand. I burdened my mother with my existence. My father was in the military so after he came home state side she tracked him down and handed me to him and I never saw her again. I was her abomination for the first five years of my life. It was so easy for her to hand me off. I was happy when I met my dad for the first time and found out he'd be with me twenty four seven."

"Are you guys still close?"

"Very. He's my lifeline." Pete Mitchell. My lifeline.

Jake stands up and helps me up. He presses a kiss to my forehead as the curtain opens and he quickly shuffled back making me laugh hysterically. I look to the open curtain seeing a concerned Admiral and my emotional father.

"V..."

He doesn't even finish his sentence and I know something is wrong. I frown and with a deep sigh I look down. "He's gone, isn't he?"