Day Drinking

The bar is quiet as it's early in the afternoon. But you know what they say, it's five o'clock somewhere. Penny was nice enough to let me in early seeing how clearly stressed and frustrated I am. It's a relief that she was so accepting of me and didn't shut me down.

Now I'm sitting on a bar stool with a glass of bourbon in hand and my phone in my back pocket. I can feel my phone buzz constantly in the back pockets of my pants infuriating me more. I settle with rolling my eyes and ignoring the numerous messages as I stare at the hard wood counter thinking everything through.

Amelia, Penny's daughter, is seated not far from me working on her school work. I smile at the sight recollecting the memories I had in high school and the studying I had to do. I remember the times my dad wasn't always there but he helped me when he could and he would FaceTime me ensuring I was doing my best.

Penny sets another glass in front of me shaking me out of my thoughts. I jump at the sound, turning to face her nervously. I tiredly look into her eyes. A kind smile graces her features.

"You Mitchell's are always so strong headed," my eyes widen in shock hearing her speak to me like she's known me for years. "Don't act so surprised you are practically a mini replica of him. His hair, his eyes, his humor, his personality. Only difference," she leans forward putting her hand over mind, "you're a woman," she winks.

I sigh sadly, "how long have you known?"

She smiles, "no matter how many times he comes back overseas he always finds his way to me even though it ends the same way every time. Don't think I never noticed you attached to his hip and dipped out when you saw me."

Chewing the inside of my cheek nervously I turn my gaze away from her. "He's the only family I got. I may be thirty but he's always been the only constant in my life. And despite how close we are he deserves happiness after..." I trail off huffing out a regrettable breath.

She raises a brow, "after what?"

I look up to her with a warm-hearted smile. "Not now. I just want to get over the shit my father pulled today with Rooster."

"Speak of the devil and may he appear." Her eyes are locked on something or someone over my shoulder. I turn my body to see none other than Rooster himself.

He steps closer hesitantly, displaying awkwardness between the two of us. Penny disappears in the back leaving me alone with him. Damn you Penny.

"Can we talk?"

I lick my bottom lip contemplating the question in my mind. Picking up my jacket I walk past him I stop feeling as if he isn't following, "are you coming or what?"

He smirks lightly walking to catch up with me. We head to the beach walking along the shore with our toes digging into the sand.

"You know, don't you?"

He nods subtly from the side. "So you're a Mitchell too."

His statement makes me shiver. I don't like people finding out my real identity. "Nobody but the Admirals are supposed to know. I'm just... Viper."

"Are you going to wash me out?"

"Is the mission really the only reason you're here, Rooster, because I'm sure my response is going to be similar to my dad's."

I stop in my tracks to which he does the same. I can see his thoughts, not literally but judging by the silence he doesn't know what to say.

"Rooster, what's going on between you and my dad is just that. I'm not involved, I don't want to be. My dad and I may be similar in some aspects but this..."

"I get you don't want to be involved just... did you know?"

I brush a strand of hair behind my ear letting out an annoyed sigh. "I found out after he pulled your papers from the academy."

He nods understandingly. If I were to guess it's his way of saying he doesn't have to hate me like he resents my father.

"How did you find out I'm his daughter?"

"The fight you guys had... the walls aren't exactly sound proof. You yelled 'dad' pretty loud. I'm sure some others heard the altercation."

"Does Phoen-"

"Yes."

"And will she-"

"No, she won't tell. You didn't tell us your name for a reason and now I guess I understand why. Your secret is safe with us."

I smile happily squinting into the sun. "So long as Hangman doesn't figure it out it'll be all good."

He chuckles, "what's the deal with you guys anyways?"

I shrug my shoulders back, "if you figure it out let me know. I know he doesn't think highly of women. You've seen how he treats Phoenix."

"Yeah but he's never tried getting under someone's skin as much as he does with you."

"He's a flirt, I'll tell you that."

"You have some vocals, you know."

I grin, "I'm a happy go lucky ray of fucking sunshine." He laughs genuinely.

We look into the distance seeing the sun slowly set over the horizon. "Look Rooster, I know you didn't know who I was before now but I knew you my entire life. Call me crazy but with how much I heard about you from Ice and Maverick... I already saw you as the older brother I never had." I let out an easy breath of air and smile up at him. "I wish I met you sooner."

The corner of his lip curves upward, "you're not so bad, Viper." He nudges my shoulder playfully.

"Devyn."

"What?"

"My name, it's Devyn." In an instant I hold out my hand waiting for him to hold it. He looks at me confused. "Hi, I'm Devyn Mitchell."

"Well, Devyn Mitchell, I'm Bradley Bradshaw. It's nice to meet you."

"You too."

The two of us turn around heading back to the bar. "You must have been pretty mad to call him Maverick."

I scoff, "you have no idea."