Tormenting Hangman

I already knew today was going to suck and now I can confirm. Talking to my dad he has a plan and personally I find it appalling. First day of meeting everyone and he decided this is how he wants to start it? Shoot me now.

We're currently standing in the shadows watching all the idiots in desks waiting for the speech of the infamous Admiral Bates. The only thing I find satisfying at this moment is finding out what Hangman's reaction will be to both of us pulling up to train these guys.

"Attention on deck!" A woman shouts from afar drawing my attention.

The Admirals take their places standing in their respected spots along with the remaining soldiers including... Hondo? What the fuck?

Admiral Bates takes the stand speaking in front of all the Top Gun candidates. "Good morning. Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated," everyone takes their seats slouching as they listen to one of the bossman. "I'm Admiral Bates, Air Commander. You're all Top Gun graduates, the elite, the best of the best. That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box," he pauses for a second watching the graduates fill themselves with confidence, determination, and apparently for Hangman, a larger ego. "Half of you will make the cut, one of you will be named mission leader, the other half will remain and reserve. Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His associate, if you will, will be aiding and attending your practice. She too has real world experience and was a former member of Top Gun and is named one of the youngest graduates within this program."

At that the two of us begin to walk down the smooth tiles gradually passing all the members as we go. Hangman smiles for a second as he turns back to look at us but he swiftly turns in his seat, face pale and a disbelieving look as he pinches the bridge of his nose. I beam from ear to ear seeing his childish behavior like he got caught in four k.

"Their exploits are legendary and they are considered to be one of the most finest pilots this program has ever produced. What they have to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death. I give you Captain Pete Mitchell, call sign, Maverick and former Top Gun graduate, call sign, Viper."

The corners of my lips tug up as I greet them with a friendly 'good morning.' I turn it over to Maverick who holds up a thick stack of booklets.

"FAT NATOPS. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Damn right!" Payback exclaims, cutting him off from continuing.

"You got it!"

"Damn straight."

Maverick and I meet eye to eye, shrugging. I take the pile from him, tossing it into the trash. Using my right arm I lean against the podium crossing my left leg over my right. "So does your enemy," I reply smoothly.

Maverick leans over the podium lifting a finger slightly, "but what the enemy doesn't know... is your limits. I intend to find them."

"Test them. Push beyond. So today we'll start with what you only think you know."

We stay silent for a moment carefully watching as most of them squirm in their seats. Maverick nods his head and with a serious tone he says, "you show me what you're made of."

Right after that we split. Dad goes his own way and I go mine. Gearing up for flying was the easy part of the whole transition, getting past Hangman without numerous questions and his constant flirting, much more difficult.