Departure

3rd Pov:

Five minutes earlier

Maverick stood in front of Admiral Simpson in his office. One hand gripping the opposite wrist as he waits for Simpson to speak.

"I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now," he sits straight in his desk watching the Captain watch him carefully taking in every word. "Take some time, whatever you need."

The Captain doesn't take a moment to think about it. "Well I appreciate that sir, but there's no time. The mission-"

"No, I'll be taking over the training from here." Simpson's demeanor changes rapidly. His once heartfelt voice is now filled with a different emotion.

Maverick is taken back by his tone. His eyes dart to the side then back at him. Baffled by the sudden change in plans he questions the Admiral. "Sir?"

He leans back in his seat interlacing his fingers together. His eyes burrow deep in the older Captain's remaining composed. "We both know you didn't want this job, Maverick, nor your daughter."

"Sir, they're not ready."

"Well it was your job to get them ready."

Maverick doesn't stand down, he's determined to get the Admiral to see his point of view. "Sir, they have to believe this mission can be flown."

"And all you've managed to do is teach them that they can't."

"Sir-"

"You're grounded, Captain," he pauses before stating sternly, "permanently."

"Sir-"

"That is all." Simpson points to the door. As he is about to make his departure out the door, Phoenix and Coyote barge into the room out of breath and their facial expressions filled with concern. "Lieutenants-"

Phoenix waves her hand apologetically. "I'm sorry, sir but we desperately need Maverick," his eyes pick up off the floor at his name. "It's Viper, she's collapsed and Hangman refuses to let any medical staff touch her without you."

The Captain doesn't hesitate to follow after the young comrades. Running down the halls after a good minute they enter the briefing room where huddled in a circle are all the graduates. Phoenix and Coyote shout to make way. A path is paved for him to walk through. It is clear now to what they were talking about.

The older father rushes to her side seeing as Hangman was already there checking her pulse and keeping her head straight.

"Tell me what happened," he looks directly at Hangman before attending his daughter. He turns her head both ways check for blood to which he doesn't see any.

"She came in here to meet up with the rest of us like planned but when she got in here she seemed very out of it."

Feeling for her wrist he feels for her pulse. "Her pulse is steady. Describe to me what she looked like."

"She was looking around slowly like everything was in slow motion. She was already pretty pale. She blacked out for a moment I think since she didn't reply to any of us. Then she fell. I caught her before she hit the ground." Hangman backs up letting him take over.

"Shit, she had an episode."

Rooster furrows his brows looking between his team mates then to the older male. "Episode, sir?"

"She has PTSD."

"From her accident, sir?"

His eyes flicker quickly to the young Lieutenant who already aided her. "She told you about that?" He nodded honestly. "Wow, I guess my pep talks do help." He sits with his knees up watching as her chest rises and falls. "Yes, her accident. She still has nightmares here and there but she also has moments when a memory of that day resurfaces. It knocks her out half the time. How long was she out before I got here?"

"Two minutes, sir."

He tilts his head to the side and looks to Hangman who is uneasy. "What has she told you, Hangman?"

He looks to his trainer then to his team mates who are watching as everything unfolds. "Mind if I summon it done sir?" He nods approvingly. "Plane, water, fifty two minutes."

"So everything?"

"Even to when she was paralyzed from the waist down for a while."

He bits his lip facing away from him. The two Admirals run in seeing the unconscious navy pilot on the floor. "She'll be waking up any minute now. Hangman, grab her right arm. She has mean right hook I don't feel like getting hit by again." And just like he said her eyes started to flutter open. She shot up abruptly gasping for air. Maverick caressed her back as he told her to breathe.

Carefully she brought her knees to her chest leaning her head against it. She heavily inhaled and exhales gaining her breath back. Devyn slowly sits herself upright looking up at the variety of familiar faces.

"Fuck." She rubs her hand against her forehead soothing herself.

She looks to her left seeing her father sitting beside her. "Welcome back to the land of the living."

"Please shut up," she looks to her right seeing Hangman kneeling down on the other side of her. His hand is still gripping her arm. She looks down then back up at him. Instantly he releases her. To her disappointment she missed his touch. She looks around adjusting to the light, "how long was I out this time?"

"Around four minutes."

Her eyes snap to her father. "That's-"

"A lot shorter than all the other times, I know."

"I haven't had an episode in weeks."

Hangman chuckles, "do you love us that much?"

She glares at him,"I'll happily put you back on my shit list, dickhead."

"Stay calm, V."

She gave a knowing look to her father who smiled innocently. "Stay calm? Seriously? Do you know my genes?" She's getting ready to stand up when Rooster offers a hand. She gladly takes it and pulls herself up. "This is calm and it's Viper."

"As much fun as this was I need to talk to you, Viper."

Maverick takes her hand pulling her out of the room as away from all the ears. "What the hell was that for?"

"Simpson grounded me," he pauses watching her reaction, "permanently." Her mouth gaps and she's about to speak but he cuts her off. "The last thing I want to do is leave too but we don't have a choice."

"Mav-"

"I'm sorry, V."