Act 17: Jenny Lind's Performance in New York:

*One Long Journey Home*

They all returned to New York when Jenny Lind agreed to do the opera in New York. Phineas was excited about the performance when Phillip came to the box where Amelia was standing with the others. She would have sat with her mother and her sisters, but she decided to sit with Anne and the others since they had a show after. Amelia, Anne, and the others ended up in the dark standing box when Amelia sighed at the idea of her dad treating all these great people just how they were always treated. 

She stood next to Anne when she was trying very hard to see the stage. Amelia glanced to the side of her when Phillip moved to stand beside her. He did not look at her when she glanced at Anne, who smirked at her. Amelia smiled slightly when she looked forward, seeing her father walk out on the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience... I recently had the privilege of hearing the most divine voice I've ever heard. Now, I know that sounds like Barnum humbug... but I have 100 bottles of good champagne on ice that says this isn't just another sideshow novelty. May I present... the Swedish Nightingale... Miss Jenny Lind." Phineas announced, walking off the stage, when the curtains rose, revealing the spotlight on Jenny Lind. She began to sing while everyone was watching quietly. 

Slowly, Phillip started to reach for Amelia's hand when her breath caught in her throat, gracing her pinky with his. He kept inching his hand closer before he intertwined their fingers. Amelia relaxed at his touch, still looking at the stage. 

"She's terrific..." Anne whispered to Amelia, who nodded, turning to look at Anne. Anne noticed the two when she smiled, turning to look back at the stage as Amelia did the same. 

However, Phillip glanced at a familiar box to see his parents looking over them. Phillip looked away from his parents with a still expression, dropping Amelia's hand. Amelia looked over to where he was looking before looking at him. She hoped that he would at least look at her. But he did not. She looked forward, hoping to stay calm, but the tears welling up in her eyes made her leave in a hurry. 

She rushed to the bathroom when Charity noticed she was not in the box anymore. Charity got up with her daughters, rushing to find Amelia, while Anne followed after. Phillip scoffed to himself, immediately regretting even dropping her hand.

~424 words~