[EXTRA] Fireworks

This is not related to the story at all, just an extra chapter because some readers may be celebrating the Fourth of July today! It's a nice bite-sized chapter before the giant one!

————————

The park was filled with lots of people, many who had light jackets, coolers, and beer. They laughed and cheered as the kids ran up and down the grass, waving sparklers in their hands, waiting for the sun to set enough for the real show to start.

Tom and Sarah walked along the grass, smiling at many people near them. They had agreed to meet Pete and Nick beforehand. Scanning the area, they spotted Nick waving at them, a cold beer in his hand.

"Hey *hic* guys!" He smiled at them.

"Mav, you know Nick shouldn't be drinking this much!" Sarah sighed as she took the bottle away from him.

"Noooo, I'm fiiiine!" Nick protested and Sarah laughed.

"You need to be sober to see the fireworks, otherwise you'll be running like a chicken with its head cut off," Sarah continued to laugh.

Pete took the cooler from Tom and set it down beside his. Tom placed the picnic blanket he had on the ground and lined it up with the other one, making it double the size.

A kid ran down the grass screaming "AMERICA!" The group laughed and watched the sun sink down.

Darkness swallowed them and they turned to the clearing, which is where the fireworks were set to explode. Pete and Nick sat on their blanket together, talking about one thing or another. Tom and Sarah snuggled together, trying to conserve their body heat.

Sarah laid her head on Tom's shoulder and he smiled at her. She looked up and saw his blue eyes sparkling in the night. No fireworks are as amazing as him.

They heard a loud BOOM and watched as multiple rockets shot up in the sky, exploding. Lots of "ooh's and aah's" sounded from the people around them.

Tom hugged Sarah as if he was protecting her from the loud noises coming from the explosions of the fireworks. She put a hand on his chest and they sat there.

The booms continued until they reached near the end. Tom couldn't take it anymore and leaned in. Sarah had the same thought and they kissed under the loud fireworks, the sparks littering the sky. Once the finale was over, they were still kissing when Nick spoke up.

"Get a room, guys! Not out here!" He yelled playfully.

They broke apart and stared at him. He just shrugged his shoulders and they could see Pete snickering behind him, trying not to laugh.

Sarah sighed and smiled. This was definitely a Fourth of July to remember.

————————

Thanks for reading! To clarify: this is kind of an Alternate Universe where Goose didn't die and they all decided to hang out.