epilogue

september 1st, 2017

Eloise held her husband's hand as they watched the last of their children run off to get on the train. After nineteen years, the two wouldn't have a single child in their care during the term. 

The first of their children, Remus James Black, had been born just before the Battle of Hogwarts, where both Sirius and Eloise lost their lifelong friends, Remus and Nymphadora. They'd taken in Teddy without a second thought. 

Madeline Nympadora was born four years after Remus. Then Sirius Orion Black IV a year after her. And three years later, the youngest, Marlene Grace. 

Harry was kneeling a few meters from them as he gave a pep talk to Albus Severus, unaware of his godfather watching him.

"You know," Sirius mumbled to his wife. "I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that I never got to stand here with James to see Harry off, but also that I have a child the same age as Harry's to see off to Hogwarts."

Eloise laughed. "What house do you think Marlene will be in?"

"Godric, it's a toss up. I don't think anyone would've guessed such a diverse group of houses for siblings."

Teddy was a Hufflepuff like Nymphadora. Remus was a Ravenclaw like Sirius joked his namesake should've been, but had graduated from Hogwarts and started working at the Flourish & Blotts. Madeline was a fifth-year Gryffindor (and a prefect and Quidditch Captain) and Sirius was a fourth-year Hufflepuff.

Ginny hugged Eloise. "How's it feeling having them all off?"

"Unbelievable," Eloise laughed. "Maybe I'll write another book."

Ginny chuckled.

Eloise's books had been a huge hit, especially immediately after the war with a huge need to rebuild the relationship between the English Wizarding community and muggleborns. 

She'd written three and won awards for each.

Sirius had decided not to apply to be an Auror after determining he wouldn't want to do it without James... And that it would be too weird to start a career with his godson and his buddies. 

"It's been, what, twenty years since you two were childless?" Hermione teased Eloise. 

"Oi!" Eloise exclaimed. "But yes, I was pregnant with Remus twenty years ago. And Tonks was with Teddy. You're making me feel old!" 

Ginny and Hermione laughed. 

"Tea?" Hermione asked. 

"Obviously," Eloise answered.

All was well.

i hope everyone enjoyed unexpected | s. black. i started writing this story when i had nothing to do in the middle of the covid shutdown. in all honesty, i hated that this story was the one people were reading and dreaded writing each chapter. but I committed myself to finishing it. now everyone who has been here awhile knows, it took me forever and tbh, sirius was originally going to die, but it's done and everyone lived happily ever after