nine

THE DATE

Molly had been called, because unfortunately, Sirius wasn't the best babysitter, but Eloise and Dora needed to work

So the Martins, Dora, and Sirius fell into a pattern. 

Eloise would wake up and cook for Sirius and her siblings.  Eloise and Brooklyn shared Eloise's bed and Hudson slept on a mattress on the floor.  

Then she would drop Brooklyn off at school and, if she had work, take Hudson to Molly's -- he had been pulled from the school for "homeschooling" after his Hogwarts letter had arrived.  Hudson would help Molly in the garden and such during the day.  He liked his days with Molly because he also got to look through Ginny's books from her first year. 

Dora would pick Brooklyn up from school and Hudson would Floo home when Dora's day at work was over.  Eloise would arrive soon after -- she usually stopped by her childhood home and checked on her dad -- and it would be time for dinner.  Hudson helped Brooklyn with homework and Sirius did dishes.  

The five of them were in a pattern.  

Come the end of March, John had disappeared with nothing but a note saying he'd gone traveling and he'd be back when he was ready.  

So the Martins moved home.  And the 5th of April arrived with a turquoise-haired Dora in the kitchen, with Sirius.

"Eloise!" Dora exclaimed when the Martins arrived home for the evening.

"Hi, Dora!" Eloise replied in surprise. 

Dora winked at Eloise and turned to the children.  "Kiddos, you mind showing me how to work the telly-thing?" 

Eloise rolled her eyes at her friend as the two kids led Dora out of the kitchen.

Sirius gave her a dopey grin. "I'm taking you on a date."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me?"

"Sirius, we had sex once."

"I don't think that counts as once."

Eloise snorted. "My point still stands."

"Let me take you on a date.  A good and proper date."

"Seriously, is this to make up for the fact you tried to kill Ron last week?"

Sirius opened his mouth to protest but quickly realized Eloise was kidding.  "Let me take you on a date."

"Fine."

Eloise changed and said goodbye to the kids, who were secretly glad she was getting out.  

And they were on their way.  

Sirius apparated them to a huge field.  Eloise was in awe of the beauty and never-endingness of the field.  And then her eye landed on a picnic blanket with bread and cheeses, grapes and strawberries, wine and a pizza box?

Sirius felt his heart start to race.  And then she smiled and suddenly Sirius felt like he was floating because he wanted to see that smile forever.  

"Come on," he said, gently pulling her hand towards the blanket.

He grabbed the bottle of wine poured a glass as she sat down next to him.  She took the small glass of wine from him and giggled as he held out a strawberry for her to nibble on.  

Then he opened the pizza box and the two talked about Hogwarts.  About the Marauders and the fall of them all.  Then Charlie and Dora, and the chaos of being friends with a Dragonkeeper.

They talked and talked.  

Sirius opened the picnic basket and reached far into before pulling out two ice cream cones. 

"Do you have an ice cream cart in there?" Eloise joked. 

Sirius laughed and winked.  He handed her the ice cream cone and the two enjoyed them, no words being said until the ice cream was gone.

And so they talked some more.

And talked.

And joked.

And laughed.

And enjoyed each other's presence. 

Until Eloise looked away from Sirius and realized it was completely dark. 

She moved herself to lay down on the blanket next to Sirius.  He did the same.  

"Do you know the constellations?" he asked.

"I only know Orion's belt," she replied, honestly. "Do you?"

Sirius chuckled. "I'm named after a star."

"Okay, and?" 

"Of course I do!" 

So he pointed them out.  

The sun was gone, the wine drank, the food finished. 

But they hardly noticed, they were too busy falling in love.

Completely unaware of what would come next.