eight

ANNE

Halloween

Halloween

"Really, Eloise, when's the last time you got laid?"

"Dora, knock it off!"

"I'm just saying, it might do you some good."

"Merlin, fine, Dora! Set me up with whoever!"

Eloise's door slammed shut and Dora felt bad.

"I think she's mad," Sirius told Dora.

Dora flicked him off and sat next to her cousin on the couch. "I'm just worried about her.  Her and Charlie's relationship is so close and sometimes it makes it hard for her to meet guys."

"What's her type?" Sirius asked.

"Tall, dark, handsome."

Sirius winked at the metamorphagus.  "I got this." He stood and walked towards her bedroom door.  Before he made it, her door swung open and she stood there with a suitcase in hand.

"My dad and Hudson came in today to get his books. Dad said Mum is barely holding on so I'm going to stay there for a few days -- or weeks," she informed them. "I need to take care of my siblings."

"Eloise --" Dora started.

"Have fun tonight, guys," the blonde said before exiting.

The next morning, Eloise would read about the break-in at Hogwarts.  She would roll her eyes and toss the paper away, laughing a little to herself about how dumb Sirius is.

Christmas Eve

Eloise was putting the tree up alone that year.  She hadn't written Dora or Charlie yet, despite it having been a month.

"Dad?" she called through the door, knocking gently. "I'm going to pop by my flat after my shift. I'll be home late."

Hoping no one was home, Eloise walked into her dark apartment to get some warmer clothes.

"Eloise?" a voice called. It was Dora.

"Hey, Dora."

"Where have you been?" the metamorphagus said, tackling her into a hug.

"Well, uh, Mum passed."

"Oh, Eloise. When?"

"The sixth of November. My dad's hardly left his room. Pops is off with Aunt Alessandra in Germany.  I couldn't manage --" With that, Eloise's body became too heavy and she sank to the ground in Dora's arms, weeping for the mother she could remember.