six

TEA WITH MOM AND MOLLY

Before Eloise could go to the Burrow, two things had happened

Before Eloise could go to the Burrow, two things had happened. One, her coworker, Jennifer, had owled and asked to switch shifts. Eloise agreed, glad she wouldn't have to work, especially after the second event: her father had phoned the muggle telephone in the flat, asking her to come over on urgent business. Eloise had apparated over immediately, walking into the house from the backyard.

"Dad! Mum!"

John Martin winced. Anne Martin gave him a stern look.

"In the kitchen, Eloise!"

Eloise entered, kissed her mother and father's cheeks and sat down across from him at the table.

"I'm going to check on Pops," Anne said, leaving the table.

John stared at Eloise. It hurt him to finally tell her.

"Eloise, I need to come clean about something. You aren't a muggleborn witch," he blurted.

Eloise looked at him baffled. "Of course I am, you and Mum are muggles."

"Actually, Eloise, my wife is a muggle. Your mother and I are not."

Eloise's eyes grew wide. "No."

"Your mother was killed in the Wizarding World — just a few months after you were born. I didn't know how to cope, so I ran. I wrote Dumbledore, resigned from the Order of the Phoenix and told him I'm disassociating from magic and will live as a muggle. I moved home with my parents, turned my Wizarding currency into muggle funds and started over."

"No, I'm named for Mum's favorite novels."

"No, Eloise, you're named after your mother's grandmother and your mum. Those names just so happen to also be the names of Anne's favorite books, so that's what we told you."

"But you and Mum have been married for — "

"You were one, we married 20 years ago and Anne agreed we would celebrate early so you never knew."

"But," Eloise tried to continue but choked on her words, tears threatening to fall.

"I'm sorry, Eloise," her dad told her, patting her hand.

"What was her name?"

"Madeline Grace Pederson. She was a muggleborn."

Eloise stood quickly, walked out the back door she had come in, and apparated away.

***