25 | what the hell are we doing?

x

"𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐄𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐄𝟐.𝐡𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝"

OFFICIAL EVIDENCE COLLECTED AT SCENE

Identifier: Gabriella Jontas

Classification: Suicide Letter

Location: Found at Solar Manor, Around Victim

Time: Night of Incident

Status: Redacted

"𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐄𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐄𝟐𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄.𝐡𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝"

[𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘭𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵.]

x

No.

No, no, no.

Erik? The one I was ready to spend the rest of my life with?

He was on it too? He hosted the party Ella, my own damn sister, died at?

Suicide, everybody said.

Ella suicided. I squeezed my eyes shut. It was a suicide. It was a suicide.

It was a suicide.

Right?

But at the back of my mind, I wondered why Ella would do such a thing. What was the motive?

When I walked into the race tracks, I saw a single car racing around again and again at an impossible speed. It was around two in the morning. I was so deep into my thoughts that I barely noticed when the racecar stopped. Avery stared at me like he had expected my arrival but also dreaded it.

I didn't even blame him for it.

"Get in," Avery's knuckles were white against the steering wheel. He had a helmet on and I could see another helmet already perched onto the seat next to him. As if he had prepared for me.

As much as I wanted to protest, it was freezing with the wind. There was also the need to do something very reckless. I got in, and held the helmet, unsure if I should put it on.

"Put it on," his voice was hard.

I did as he said and then he sped up and I let the adrenaline fill my veins as the car moved at incredible speed. It felt like flying. Only Avery and I, feeling this high. I could feel the rawness in his driving, in the way he turned so roughly that we could have lost our lives.

One lap. Two. To exactly twenty seven until he slowed down.

Until he spoke.

He reached over and took off his helmet. Avery's dark tousled hair was slick with sweat. He reached over to tug at his suit at the neck before running a hand through his hair.

"I was with Satin tonight."

I stayed silent because I struggled to respond.

He grimaced. "You don't get to be silent, Vesper. I didn't do anything."

I wanted to ignore him to spite him but I also didn't want to be petty. "I know."

"Do you?" Avery shifted closer, more intense.