7 | do you trust me?

x

Father handed me the ring. "Burn it."

I shook my head, tears in my eyes, as I gripped the ring. "I- I can't."

"You can," Father's eyes reflected the heat of the fire. He was angry. "And you will."

"It's the only thing I have left-"

Father grabbed the ring from me and threw it into the tall flames without a second thought. I lunged for it but Pierre quickly pulled me back when I cried out from the sudden burns.

Blood dripped from my fingers and blisters formed.

"How could you do that?" Tears spilled from my eyes. "How could you destroy everything like she never existed?"

Father only stared at me, expressionless. "She would have done the same thing."

"I hate you!" I screamed, throwing myself again at him but Pierre grabbed me back, even when I fought against him. "I hate you so much!"

"Good. Maybe now you'll finally act like a Du Sang."

x

I was going to puke.

This was my only thought as Avery led us up the stairs, not down the stairs to the party that had only gotten wilder. My pulse was erratic. I hated to admit it, but I was nervous. Maybe even scared.

This was my only opportunity. My only chance to get in Cadre I and to become a blue blood.

Otherwise, I'd never find out what truly happened to Ella.

Convince them. Convince them that this was real and then I would have a chance. My eyes strayed to Avery, who led me with one hand firmly holding mine.

Avery Dragomir must despise his father and his arranged marriage to gamble it all on a girl who all but blackmailed him. Was he desperate or was he just drunk? Was that why he agreed to my proposal?

As I watched him closely, though, I deduced that Avery was sober and knew exactly what he had agreed to.

Maybe he hated the blue bloods.

"Stop thinking so loudly," Avery grounded out, startling me.

"What?" I responded in reflex before internally cursing at myself for showing my surprise. "I'm not."

"You're wondering why I agreed to this, aren't you?" Avery looked back at me as we walked down lavish halls. How did he know?

"No," I lied, caught off guard by how well he could read me. "Although I am curious. You're clearly sober but you're acting like a drunk man."

Avery mused, "My father used to tell me that every person had seven opportunities in their life." He glanced at me, trying to gauge my reaction. When I didn't react, Avery continued, "Not the small opportunities like meeting the president or some shit. I mean life changing opportunities."

I could not help but smile wryly. "I doubt that this is life changing for you."

"You'd be surprised," Avery shrugged, and I realized that maybe he was just as nervous as I was. "Especially at what I would give up to end this arranged marriage." Bitterness laced his tone.