27 | you're exactly like me

x

I was about to leave Erik for another academy. One I earned a full scholarship and stipend for.

"Vesper, wait-"

Erik hopped out of the bed, tugging on pants, right after I stumbled into the sight of him with another girl. I quickly made my way out of the party, barely registering anything, as everything increasingly seemed to blur.

Erik Solar cheated on me.

My boyfriend, my best friend, just cheated on me with a girl I did not recognize.

No. No, I would forgive him. I would forgive him because Erik loved me. I loved him too. Years of his comfort, his security, his trust... I loved him. Right?

"Vesper! Baby, I-"

"What?" I turned to him. I would face him. I didn't do anything wrong. Why the hell should I be running away? "Is this the part you say you're sorry and then say happy birthday?"

He shut his eyes, the guilt and regret stirring in his eyes. "Yes. I am so-"

I tuned out his long apology. Calvin did this to me too. I never imagined Erik would do this to me too. This was the second time I was cheated on. At least it wasn't with my sister. God, I wanted to laugh at that.

What was wrong with me?

Was there something wrong with me? Was this why he cheated on me?

I never had a reason to feel insecure about myself, but for the first time in a long time, I felt insecure. Not even just with myself, but with relationships. I could not trust anyone in this world. Not even the boy who grew up with me, who told me he loved me, but then hurt me on my birthday.

I could not trust anybody.

"Happy birthday to me," I smiled bitterly. Erik stopped talking, blinking. He never understood me. Never. I sighed, feeling more tired than betrayed. "I need time, Erik. You owe me that. You don't get to be in my life until then."

As I walked away, I realized I wasn't really hurt...

Why did I feel relieved?

x

I would never find out how Avery intended to fulfill that promise because someone walked in.

"I always knew you were promiscuous, little sister," a voice sneered from the doorway. It was a voice that brought back memories I wish I could forget.

Avery caught the look in my eyes and pulled me up to face the newcomer. I got out of bed, gritting my teeth. I had never been so grateful yet irritated for an interruption. All the flutters in my stomach vanished.

I had no idea what would have happened if my stepbrother never intervened.

"Silas," I said, in a monotone voice. "I thought you were too busy doing research to visit."

"Yes, well, I made a break through and the institute practically made me go on vacation." Then, Silas added with a smirk. "Not that I needed the funds."