Chapter 7

No warnings!

Plot: Logan misses out on multiple nights of sleep.

Ashlyn jolted awake when the school bell rang. She looked around the classroom and saw multiple kids leaving. She got up herself and watched the group do the same except for Logan.

'What the?' She thought as she stared at Logan.

He looked absolutely horrible. His hair messy, dark and heavy eye bags, his shoes untied, pants not even fully cuffed and turtleneck only halfway tucked in. But, surprisingly, he did look awake.

Ashlyn thought for a moment. 'Did he drink an energy drink, maybe coffee. He's been keeping watch while the rest of us catch up on any missed sleep in the shadow dimension. We offered him to sleep while we watch but he's always declined. Something's wrong."

"Ashlyn why are giving Logan a death stare?" Aiden asked as he tapped her shoulder.

"Something is wrong with him." She said as she started to walk with Aiden and Ben and watched Logan go into his next class. "I mean look at him."

"Eh, we'll talk to him at lunch." Aiden shrugged, Ashlyn just sighed in response.

...

"Logan what's wrong?" Taylor asked as Logan sat next to her.

Ashlyn almost didn't catch what he said due to him slurring all of his words together.

"I'm...just.. tired.." Logan's words trailing off.

"Well you should probably take a nap in here we have like thirty minutes left." Taylor suggested.

Logan responded by shaking his head. Ashlyn watched him open his bag and pull out an energy drink.

'Seems like my theory was true.' She thought as Logan drank his drink.

"How long has it been since you got any sleep." She asked.

"I don't remember." He replied quickly, more awake due to the energy drink.

"Logan, you're going to sleep in the shadow dimension while we keep watch."

"No." Logan said coldly.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" Taylor asked, quickly changing subjects.

"None of your business." Logan replied in the same ice cold tone as he got up. "I have work to do." He picked up his tray and left.

...

Ashlyn was the first to the convince store. They had decided to meet here then go to the graveyard as a group.  She watched Ben, Aiden, Taylor, and Tyler come together as a group a couple minutes later.

"Logan's not with you?" Aiden asked as he moved behind her.

"Nope." She stated.

That's when she heard the store doors open. Ashlyn turned around and looked at Logan, holding two energy drinks.

"Don't drink those." She said as she grabbed one from his hand. "You need sleep." She finished.

Ashlyn couldn't make out what he said due to how heavy he slurred his words. But she did see his eyes widen as he dropped his drink. And she heard him exclaim, "Phantom!"

Ashlyn quickly turned around, accidentally hitting Aiden's head in the process, only to see nothing.

"There's nothing there." She stated as she turned back to Logan. When she faced him again she was met with bewildered eyes and scared expression.

"Great now he's hallucinating!" Tyler exclaimed.

Ashlyn watched his face relax.

"Let's get to the graveyard, now." She stated sternly.

...

Ashlyn was now holding a barely conscious Logan by his waist, his arm on her shoulder as he struggled to walk.

She laid him at the at the back of the bus, and threw a spare jacket on him, his head resting on rolled up shirt. She bent down and took of his glasses, looking at his barely open eyes.

When she got up Logan's eyes were closed and he was asleep.

"I have a bad feeling about this." Tyler muttered, when he realized all eyes were in him, he spoke up. "I mean we all saw how he looked like at school! Plus he could barely make it here."

"I agree." Ashlyn said as she grabbed the energy drink she gave to Ben, moments later she put it down.

"I want to check the perimeter, Taylor and Tyler stay here with him." She said as she left the bus with Ben and Aiden.

Ashlyn didn't know how long that had been go for. they were on top of one of the walls, counting the phantoms. That's when they heard a blood curdling scream. They all quickly got off of the wall they were on and rushed to the bus.

Ashlyn was faced with Logan clinging onto Tyler, balling his eyes out. And a panicked Taylor by their side.

"What happened?" Ashlyn asked frantically as she kneeled by Taylor.

"I-I don't know-w! I mean- it looked like he was have a-a nightmare of some sorts. So I was debating waking him up. Then he started to scream at the top of his lungs-s!" She chocked out.

...

"Explain." Tyler ordered.

Logan hugged his knees closer to his chest. "A week ago I started to have these really bad nightmares."

"So you've been skipping sleep in order not to have them." Aiden said.

"Yes, and it'll stay that way." He said sternly.

"No, if you keep going on like this you'll give yourself insomnia." Ashlyn replied.

"You don't understand, these nightmares are so realistic and they feel so real, too real." Logan said before he yawned.

"It doesn't matter, you can't just skip sleep." Tyler said.

Logan rested his head on his knees. "I know, but these nightmares, they aren't normal."

"What are they about?" Taylor asked.

"Phantoms."

Ashlyn watched Logan's eyes close. 'Is he seriously going to fall asleep right now?' She thought.

...

"We talked for like 10 minutes and he fell asleep." Tyler said as Ben put Logan in the position that he was before.

"This is really bad." Taylor stated. "What should we do?"

"I don't know." Ashlyn admitted. She stared at Logan, he looked so peaceful asleep.

"I don't know..." She repeated.

963 words!