Chapter 5: An Unexpected Offer

~~Part 1: Dissociation~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What have we here, anyway? You wondered, getting up from the bed and waltzing over to the tray of food he had left for you. Waffles, eggs, nice. Orange juice... you hesitantly picked up the glass and took a small sip, only to immediately put it back down and recoil in disgust. "With vodka??" You sneered aloud to yourself.

"Unbelievable." You scoffed with a short laugh, spurred mostly out of spite. I don't know if he's enabling or mocking... Either way, if I decide to have a drink it is not going to be because he persuaded me. At least the food isn't spiked... I hope.

You ate a few bites of the waffles, grateful to have the capacity to hold down sustenance. You hummed softly to yourself at the taste, it was delightfully sweet but not so sugary that it made your teeth hurt.  Scarfing down a few more morsels, you decided that you were overdue for that shower. Tired of wearing a thin layer of sweat from withdrawal you shed your clothes and tossed them into the hamper, walking into the bathroom.

It's so weird having such a big room. You thought. And no built in kitchen either.

Shutting the bathroom door behind you, you gazed at yourself in the mirror again. This time taking in your full appearance. It was strange, how you looked different, yet so much had stayed the same. Every birthmark and freckle you had in life, you had taken with you to wear beyond the grave. Your facial structure was the same, save for a different set of ears which took the most getting used to. Your body still strong and agile -maybe more so than before, and you felt taller. Perhaps you were, you weren't sure. You just knew you were just a smidge taller than Charlie, however tall she was.

"Nice." You chuckled softly to yourself, before turning your back on the reflection in the mirror and turned the water on in the shower. The shower head sputtered before releasing a steady, mist-producing stream of hot water. Adjusting the knobs to get the ideal temp, you moved the curtain and stepped inside. Humming softly with content as the warmth soothed your stiff muscles as you let it run through your hair and down your back.

Your gaze focused on the wall in front of you, feeling tunnel vision take a hold as you dissociated. Mindlessly standing there under the water and tuning out the world for a moment; your mind playing some moments of your life back to you.

~~~~~~~flashback~~~~~~~~

Contortion was not an easy task, not by a long shot. It wasn't really something you were known for in your performances, however, you opted to learn at a young age. Mostly just to see if you could. It definitely helped, having such a range of flexibility, but you didn't flaunt it in the ring like it was your specialty. In a little blue trailer you were inside, stretching and hiding away from the sun in the process. With each hand holding a balancing pole, you hoist yourself up off the ground and folded your body backwards; your legs above your head while you carried your weight on your arms.

Despite how fluid you and the others made it look, it still certainly felt like a big stretch every time. Of course, with much practice and working up to it, it became less and less of an issue. But being as extreme as it was, one still had to ignore the discomfort, essentially.

You exhaled slowly, letting your body relax into it while still keeping yourself balanced. After a short moment you looked up from the floor and noticed a silhouette dart out of view from the open doorway of the trailer. This peaked your curiosity, as whoever it was that moved had done it at a running speed instead of a more casual stride. Intrigued, you came out of the stretch and stood on your feet. Walking over to the doorway and peaking out the direction the figure ran toward. You smiled gently when you saw the same guy you locked eyes with earlier, appeared to be lugging some of the equipment over to the big top.