Chapter 6

Jareth teleported y/n and himself back into the castle. Not a moment later a goblin came running towards them in a panic.

"Your majesty, you are needed in the ballroom at once!" Jareth nodded and took y/n with him. As they got closer they heard a light humming. There was a woman dancing around the ballroom and Jareth seemed to know her. He left y/n side and approached the mysterious woman.

"Mother, what are you doing here?" Jareth grumbled and the woman turned around. She wore a sun hat with a large brim, with the wrong move she could knock someone over with it. She also wore a white porcelain mask that covered her whole face. She almost looked like a doll with her red painted lips.

"Wait mother?" Y/n questioned quietly. The woman threw herself into Jareth's arms and the man froze in place. She was letting out happy squeals as she continued to hug her son. Y/n just stood there, completely confused and unsure of what to do. Then the woman's eyes snapped to y/n's figure and pulled Jareth closer to her if that was even possible.

"Jareth, who is this?" The mother asked, suddenly taking an interest in y/n. She couldn't tell if Jareth's mother meant that in a good way or bad way, she had no emotion because of the mask. Jareth pulled himself out of his mother's grip and walked to y/n's side.

"Mother, this is my future wife, y/n." He introduced pulling y/n towards his mother, and into the conversation. Y/n wanted to roll her eyes but refrained since she was in front of her future in-law. Y/n swore she heard a cracking noise coming from his mother when Jareth said that but then she started laughing.

"Jareth, darling, she's not a royal." Jareth's mother scoffed and Jareth grip tightened on y/n who was slightly angered by this random woman's words.

"That doesn't matter. How long are you staying awayways?" He asked. His tone quickly turned defensive when she insulted y/n.

"You're so cold to me Jareth." She wiped a nonexistent tear from her face. "I planned to stay for a week." Jareth let out a long sigh as he melted into y/n who was letting it happen.

"Fine, just don't go overboard." He said before his mother let out a squeal.

"I won't darling, I must get started right away." She yelled before running towards the ballroom. Jareth ordered a few goblins to go assist her with her planning.

"What was that?" Y/n asked.

"Let's go to the throne room. I'll explain everything." Jareth and y/n went back to the throne room to have some privacy.

"So you're mother-" Y/n wasted no time with her millions of questions but Jareth stopped her.

"She's not actually my mother, she's just the woman that raised me." He corrected.

"Okay, noted, so what is she planning?" Y/n asked.

"A ball that will span over the week as a celebration." Jareth explained as if it were common knowledge.

"Celebration of what?" Y/n questioned turning to get him to elaborate.

"Who knows, it's just an excuse to throw a lavish party. It really should be our engagement party." He said as he tilted her chin to look at him. She rolled her eyes and squirmed out of his hold, making a little distance between them.

"Speaking of, why is she so against me?" Y/n didn't even know the woman but y/n saw the way his mother looked at her as if she was dirt. Beneath her, meant to be stepped on, nothing more than a nuisance.

"She's an old lady who wishes for her son to marry someone else... someone more... I don't know how to say this..."

"Dignified?" Y/n said with a sigh.

"Don't say it like that!" He said holding his hand out for her to take. Y/n did take it and he spun her into his arms. Her back was against his chest and his arms held her on either side of him.

"I do not wish for you to change, my dear. Any woman my mother would have chosen for me to marry would have been as bland as porridge. I like you much more like this, you're feisty." He leaned into her ear and kissed her temple. To Jareth's shock she didn't jerk away or yell at him. She stayed in his arms and embraced his affection.

"So you're telling me I have to go to this party?" Y/n sighed.

"Unfortunately, yes. They'll be fun I promise."

"I find that very hard to believe. What would I even wear?"

"I have the perfect thing for you, come with me." Jareth said before he untangled y/n from his arms and walked her out of the throne room.

He walked her to a small room just a ways away from her own. It was a seamstress room and inside would be a shock for y/n. Jareth opened the door and y/n's eyes widened at the large white dress displayed on a mannequin standing in the middle of the room.

"Oh my God." Y/n gasped as she walked into the room with Jareth following behind her.

"Do you like it?" Y/n didn't know how to answer, she was in such awe by this dress. It had an iridescent shrine to it that glimmered as she circled around it. She ran her hand down the beaded front looking at all the details. Then there was the massive skirt that flooded out like a cupcake. The tops of the sleeves were puffed out until about the elbow were the fabric wrapped around the forearms.

"It's beautiful." Y/n whispered as she continued to touch every little detail she could notice about the dress.

"I'm glad you like it."

"When did you have this made?" She asked, eyes still glued to the dress.

"I thought it could be yours, I was bound to throw a party to celebrate us at some point. You can never have too many party outfits." He pointed out. She thought about his massive wardrobe and how he practically wore a different outfit every hour. She smiled to herself.

"It looks more like a wedding dress than a party one." She joked.

"That can be arranged-"

"Don't push your luck." She cut him off and he laughed.

"Alright, I'm just glad you like it."

"Is there a theme that goes along with your mother's party?"

"It's a masquerade ball, she always throws those." Y/n thought back to Jareth's mother's mask, knowing she probably threw the themed party to feel less alone in her own appearance. Then she looked back to the dress, it had no mask to complement it.

"But there's no mask to-" Before she could finish Jareth waved his hand quickly and one appeared in his hand. It was a white butterfly mask that matched perfectly to the dress.

"How do you do that?" She asked and Jareth cocked a smile.

"Magic darling." He said before he placed the mask on the table next to the dress.

"Yeah yeah."