Chapter 8

"You don't need to wear a mask." Jareth told y/n after she asked him for a new one. It was the next day and Jareth was ready to make his entrance at the ball with his fiancé. He stayed with y/n as she got ready at her vanity.

"I'll look utterly ridiculous Jareth, please make me a new one." She begged. He sat in a chair watching her amused.

"I don't think I will." Y/n groaned angrily as Jareth laughed at her. "Darling, I'm not going to wear one either, we can be ridiculous together."

"That doesn't help."

"Come, it will be fun. Besides, everyone will get to see your gorgeous face." With his flattery y/n was somehow convinced to get up and go.

Jareth guided her around the ballroom. The stares that y/n was prepared for never came because she was with Jareth, everyone minded their own business. They all knew better than to cross the Goblin King and if y/n was at his side she was the future queen. Y/n could actually enjoy herself tonight.

"Jareth it's been forever." A woman in pink appeared behind Jareth, her voice was like silk. He turned around to address her and y/n hid behind him.

"It has been. How are you?" He bowed to her.

"I'm doing alright, who's hiding behind you?" She asked with a laugh and y/n cursed herself for looking like a fool.

"I'd like to introduce you to my bride-to-be. This is y/n, and this is my long time friend Percilla." Jareth grabbed y/n's hand and pulled her to his side. Her cheeks were bright red as she looked at the finely dressed woman in front of her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Y/n said with a smile and a slight bow. Percilla did not return the gesture.

"Likewise." The fae woman looked at y/n up and down before turning back to Jareth. "Your mother told me about her." She said in a knowing voice and Jareth rolled his eyes.

"Mother had only met her two days ago, I can't imagine what she said." Jareth tightened his grip on y/n. The air was becoming thick

"She said exactly what you think she said, then she asked when our wedding would be." Percilla said with a fake smile.

"I see, thank you. Now if you'll excuse us." Jareth pulled y/n away. She had so many questions but Jareth spoke before she could ask them.

"Dance with me, my dear?" Jareth suggested.

"Alright." He pulled her on the dance floor.

They slow dance gracefully for a few moments then Jareth winched when y/n stepped on his foot.

"This is why you should've given me dance lessons before this party." Y/n laughed.

"You're doing great, don't worry." Time seemed to slow down, yet y/n felt that it was just them two. No one was secretly watching them out of the corner of their eyes. No whispers about y/n and Jareth. It almost felt like heaven.

"You are absolutely beautiful y/n." Jareth whispered in her ear and a blush spread over her cheeks.

"Thank you." They continued to sway and waltz along the ballroom floor but something was soon eating at her.

"She said your mother asked about a wedding." She said, referring to Percilla.

"What made you think of this? My mother has been obsessed with the idea of the two of us getting married since we were little. My mother's perfect idea is ruined by you." He laughed at the last part.

"I see and you don't feel that way about her?"

"Of course not! How could you suggest that?" He pulled her closer as they continued to dance. There were listening ears on the dance floor and Jareth wanted their conversation to be more private.

"I don't know, I can't put my finger on it but something is wrong."

"It's my mother, don't let her get to you." Jareth told her.

"I'll try." Jareth gave her a reassuring smile before touching his forehead to hers. She let out a small laugh at his affectionate gesture. They enjoyed the moment before they were interrupted by a small voice.

"Master Jareth?" A goblin pulled on his cloak and Jareth looked down.

"What is it?" He hissed at the goblin at his feet.

"There's an issue at the front gate."

"And you can't handle it?" Jareth asked, getting irritated.

"No sir."

"Alright, I will handle it. I'll be back." He kissed y/n hands before vanishing in thin air. The second he was gone the attention moved to y/n, alone and without anyone to protect her.

"Shit." She cursed under her breath and briskly walked out of the ballroom. If she stayed in one place, she was afraid the guest would try to approach her. She wanted to find a quiet place to hide from other. Y/n hoped that she would find the throne room to be empty but when she walked in there she was wrong.

There stood y/n in the entrance of Jareth's throne room, however the room looked completely transformed. It wasn't made of brick and stone anymore. It was covered in pure white silk and filled with wealthy guests. There sat Jareth's mother laughing with her guest while sitting on the throne of the goblin king. She was holding a glass of wine in her hand while y/n questioned how she was able to drink it with the mask. Once y/n's presence was noticed the laughter stopped and all attention snapped to her.

"You." Jareth's mother hissed.

"Me?" Y/n pointed to herself with a questioning look. Then the woman stood up and walked towards y/n.

"You've ruined everything. Return to the human realm, I do not wish to see you." Y/n let out a laugh, this woman really didn't like her

"Funny because your son is the one who wants me here. Besides, I don't have the power to go back there even if I wanted to." Y/n fired back. She figured Jareth's mother was no more than a child, complaining because she didn't get what she wanted. This would explain why she was so cruel towards y/n in the first place.

"Well then let me assist you." The woman pulled out a small black crystal ball from her pocket.

"What is that?" Y/n questioned. It looked so similar to Jareth's crystal but it was blacked out, almost as if it was filled with dark magic.

"It's your ticket out of here." She said before throwing the glass ball at y/n's feet. It shuttered into a million pieces releasing black smoke opening a portal under y/n's feet. It materialized fully and y/n fell down with a scream into the abyss.