Chapter 3 [Moon]

Rayla walks back and forth on the castle wall, while the rest of us hide behind some crates, in this order: Callum, Ezran and Bait with the egg, and then me.

Rayla: You're here I know you are.

Runaan: Rayla. You defied me.

Rayla: Runaan, you need to call off the mission.

Runaan: You've lost your mind.

Rayla: Please, listen to me. I've found something. The egg of the Dragon Prince.

Runaan: That's impossible.

Rayla: The egg wasn't destroyed, it was stolen. Their High Mage was going to use it for dark magic, but the human princes found it, along with another human, and their only trying to help--

Runaan: No. Humans are liars. This is a trick and a trap. You're a fool, Rayla.

Callum walks out from behind the crates.

Callum: She's not a fool. What she's telling you is true.

Runaan: You've made a terrible mistake.

Callum: Ez, show them.

Ezran and I both walk out from behind the crates, with Bait on Ezran's head. Runaan's eyes widen at the sight of the egg, but then he looks towards me. My hand instinctively reaches up for my dragon pendant, but he doesn't take his eyes off me.

Runaan [stammers]: It's beautiful.

Rayla: How can we take vengeance for an act that never happened? You have to call it off.

Runaan: Rayla, you know it doesn't work that way. We bound ourselves. There's only one way to release. We must punish them for taking what is ours.

He didn't say that before. Did he?

Rayla: Runaan, please. There has to be another way. This is a miracle, a chance for peace.

Runaan: The humans struck down the King of the Dragons. Justice will not be denied. Now give me the egg and human girl.

Rayla: Callum, Ezran, Y/n, go.

Callum: But--

Rayla: Just keep them safe.

Callum and Ezran run to the tower behind them. I give Rayla and Runaan one last glance before chasing after the princes. The clouds parted to reveal the full moon and I froze. Something was changing about my body. I felt this cool breeze with lasting peace. It seemed to stabilize so I started running again.

We're all running down the stairs of the castle tower, panting. We make our way to the courtyard and stop at a hay cart. Callum throws his backpack inside and helps Ezran and Bait in as well. I stay next to the cart.

Callum: You need to stay here, hidden. Keep the egg and Y/n safe.

Bait lets out a croak and I stand to the side confused on why I need the protection.

Callum:  I'll go talk to the king.

Ezran's head, along with Bait, pops out of the cart.

Ezran: Callum, why don't you just call him "Dad"?

Callum: Because he's the king. And I'm his stepson.

Y/n: Just because your not his biological son doesn't mean he doesn't love you. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't think of you as his son.

You put a hand on his shoulder, in a comforting manner. But when he looked at you his eyes widened in suprise.

Callum: Did you know that the ends of your hair turned white?