Chapter 9 [Moon]

Everyone was still in shock from the information Ezran had given them. He placed Bait down and said it again.

Ezran: There is no miracle healer. I'm sorry.

Callum: Stop being mysterious. If you're gonna make a claim like that, you owe everyone an explanation.

Ezran: Okay. Ava told me--

Callum: Ugh, here we go!

Ezran: No, it's true! I can understand animals.

Callum: Well, did you ask Bait? He might disagree. Or maybe we can find an opinionated squirrel around here somewhere.

Ezran: I knew you wouldn't listen to me.

Y/n: Hey, I'll listen to you.

Rayla: It seems pretty hard to believe.

Y/n walked over and kneeled down in front of Ezran. They gave him a soft smile, encouraging him to open up.

Ezran: I've always been different. It's hard for me to make friends with other kids. I just feel like I don't fit in.

Y/n: That's fine. Fitting in is just boring anyways.

Ezran: But with animals. Somehow, I have this connection. And a few years ago, I realized I could understand what they were saying.

Callum: Can you believe this?

Y/n: It may be a big claim, but he's not the only one who feels the same. He may be young, but he looks serious about this.

Callum: He's probably afraid to go up the mountain.

Ezran: I'm not afraid!

Callum: Come on, Ez, tell the truth.

Y/n: Callum, this is the truth. He wouldn't lie in such a serious matter.

Callum: The first time he did this, I asked him to prove it, so Ezran said that a group of raccoons had told him there was a treasure hidden behind a waterfall. But when I went through the waterfall, did I find a treasure?

Ezran: No.

Callum: But did my underwear get soaked.

Ezran: Yes.

Callum: Case closed.

This was exhausting, Y/n had forgotten about how difficult stubborn people could be. Ezran looked rejected.

Ezran: The raccoons were being mischievous. I have since learned you cannot trust raccoons.

Callum: This is ridiculous! See, this is why you can't make friends.

Y/n froze. Had they heard that somewhere before? No, not the exact way anyway. It was something else. 

???: See, this is why you can't blend in!

The image flashed before their mind, fleeting but everlasting. The person was blurred heavily, there weren't any noticible traits. There was a mirror in the back though, a man- No, not a man, but an elf. With skin the color of the night sky looking pitiful at the scene he was watching. Wait. Y/n had seen him somewhere before, but where?

Y/n fell to the ground on their knees. Shaken by the sudden vision.

Ellis: Y/n? Are you okay?

They were already heading up the mountain. 

Y/n: Yeah, yeah. I'm coming. 

Everyone was still walking up the mountain. Callum was holding his cube of elements, the Moon Rune glowing.