Chapter 8 [Moon]

Everyone is still running up the Caldera. Everyone hides behind a tree in the path to catch our breath and to check if the townsfolk are still chasing us. Rayla still hasn't let go of your hand.

Callum: I think we're safe.

Rayla: Safe? Sure. So, how are we supposed to find this miracle healer?

Not far away there is an odd shape with glowing green eyes. The shape comes into the light and is revealed to be Ellis and Ava.

Ellis: Come with me. I'll help you find her. This way!

Ava barks as they turn away to wall walk on the path. We continue climbing the Caldera.

Rayla: So... Hi, there. But who are you exactly?

Ellis: Me? I'm Ellis, and this is Ava. She's a wolf.

Rayla: Wolf? Really? I thought bird.

Ava gives her a luck on the nose in reply. Rayla wipes the slobber off with the back of her hand. You suppressed a laugh.

Callum: Oh, I should have introduced you guys. Ellis, this is Rayla, who we originally met because, uh... Well, she broke into our castle, trying to kill Ezran.

Ellis looks to Y/n for confirmation. You only give her a sheepish smile in reply. Rayla lets out a nervous laugh.

Ezran: But it doesn't matter. We're past that now.

Ellis: People meet in so many interesting ways!

She bends over the back of Ava to get a closer look of Rayla.

Rayla: Hmm. So how do we find this healer?

Ellis: Truth is, I never found her. She found us. We were hiding in a big, twisty, hollow tree. Up near the rim.

Callum: Then we need to get to that tree. Even if it takes all night.

Y/n: That can't be all the information we get. Isn't that a little bit...

Rayla: Y/n's right. A weird tree, where this miracle healer showed up three years ago?

Callum: It's our only chance. Got a better idea.

Rayla: As a matter of fact... I do not.

Y/n: I don't either.

Ava walks in front of the group with Ellis on her back.

Ellis: I'll get us to that tree. The healer will find us there, and she'll save the egg!

Ezran: And maybe she can help your hand.

Rayla: Don't worry about my hand. The egg is all that matters now.

You continue climbing the Caldera. You and Callum are on one side of the cliff. Rayla passes the egg over, and you're the one to grab it. Rayla leaps over with Ezran and Bait. You later use a fallen tree as a bridge. You continue climbing, but the top of the Caldera is still far away. You all make it to a ridge and watch the sunset. Ellis sighs.

Ellis: It's so beautiful. It's like the sky is painted with honey.

Ezran and Y/n: Wow.

Ellis chuckles.

Ellis: Too bad it also means the nightmare's about to begin.

Callum and Ezran give her horrified looks. You are still staring at the sunset, but also listening to the conversation so you don't miss anything important. Rayla looks confused and questions Ellis.

Rayla: What do you mean?

Ellis: Oh, you know, enormous monsters, indescribable terrors. Stuff like that.