7 | Diner Date

Aurora

I'm dumping fruit loops into my milk-filled bowl when I realize today's Saturday. Julia is supposed to be tutoring me today. I still can't believe she'll be coming into my home and tutoring me. Everyone else I asked for mentoring said they were busy or had really nasty things to say to me but Julia said yes. I know that her family is loaded with cash, she's part of the most popular clique in our year and is the captain of the basketball team.

I also am aware of how much of a player she is. The latest I heard was that something is happening between her and Ellie Smith. I've seen people look at her and gaze and wonder their eyes at her with lust and adoration but they know they'll never have her because I've also heard she has never been in a relationship with anyone in our school. These are my thoughts as I basically run to use our home phone to call her this evening.

My younger brothers, whom are twins Liam and Christopher, two years younger than me, have become so athletic. Their both on another school's soccer team, which makes them extra busy after school, so when they come home, they become like little mice and eat whatever is out of the fridge or in the pantry. I try to make dinner for my siblings when mom isn't back home from work because she takes up extra hours sometimes. Ever since my dad died from the car crash a few months ago, mom has been working odd jobs from waiting tables to being a mascot for a small restaurant to cleaning toilets and so on and so forth.

We had to give up our old home and change towns because of the whole thing. We weren't exactly wealthy when dad was alive, but we were still in our old home and in our old town and happy. I've tried telling mom that I can pick up small jobs to do, if it can help our situation but she doesn't want me making money even if it's killing her and I can see it on her face when she comes back home at nights. She just wants me to be a normal teenager, and I hope I'm doing justice by bringing a friend home today.

I pressed my thumb on the digital number buttons on the phone until the screen filled her full phone number. I pressed the green outlined call button, and the ringing noise tickled my ear and brought a swarm of butterflies in my stomach. Just stay calm, Aurora. I fiddled with the collar of my shirt for a few seconds until I heard the call pick up and a raspy voice I knew all too well.

"Hello?"

"Hi." a toothy smile brightened my face.

"Ohh hey Rory, how are you doing?" a warm tone blanketed her voice in a way that made me want to melt. "I'm so stupid I forgot that I was supposed to be tutoring you today."

"No, it's fine." I scratched the nape of my neck, another sign of my nervousness. "You still remember what time we were supposed to study?"

"About that, instead of coming to your house to study, can we maybe study somewhere else?"

"Oh well, sure, but where?" I chuckled nervously.

"A fast food diner, we can eat and study plus they have great music there" she explained in a tone that made me want to say yes "I'm sorry if that's last minute or something but I'm in the mood to get out of my own house and eat something greasy."

"I have to ask my mom first if she can drive me there and -"

"I'll pick you up." Julia interrupted me. "You live on Royston Street right?"

"Yeah, I do."

"That's not that far away from where I live, and I'm picking you up in an hour end of discussion."

Damn that's hot.

"Fine, I'll bring my books then and stuff that we'll need."

"You don't need to bring anything we could make a date out of it. All I need is for you to look pretty which you always do and that's it"