4 | Chicks Dig That

JULIA

The bell rang indicating the end of the class, students got out of their chairs and immediately started packing away their belongings. I was however hesitant to do so. Its embarrassing to say this but I wanted to spend more time with Rory. At first I was thinking I should invite her to the table but I don't want her to mingle with my friends. As much as I love them, their not a good influence so all the better reason not to attach her to my friend group.

"You can come over to my house or really wherever you like."

We had both gotten in the line, got our food, and paid in the matter of what felt like seconds. We were standing with each other basically in front of the whole cafeteria and I could feel many eyes burning on us. Ellie Smith being one of them.

"What?" I asked, because I had been too much in my head to have heard what she said.

"It's just chemistry I need help in I swear." a huge bang covered her face as she talked, and all I could think of was how I wanted to tuck it under her ear.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Not at all, Rory."

"Rory, again?" she asked, intrigued by my nickname as she sat down at her empty table. I sat right next to her, placing my tray on the table without a second thought.

"Yeah, is it cool if I call you that?"

"Yeah, it is." she whispered shy as she replied to me.

"I was just saying that we can study at 5 at my house on Saturday."

"Cool then. . . I was wondering if I could get your number."

"Oh, I don't have a phone." she looked embarrassed, but it wasn't embarrassing at all.

"Well, that's fine, how about your home number?"

"Yeah I can give you that."

Rory took out a small piece of paper from the pocket of her skirt and ripped it in half. Her nice cursive penmanship inked the paper as she wrote the number down and her street and house address with her blue pen.

"Here." she muttered, dragging the slip on the table to me.

"Your parents must love you if you don't have a phone huh?" I teased as I pocketed the slip in my jeans where the cigarette pack was. Wow, I had totally forgotten about that.

"My mom thinks I'm weird for not having one like every other kid does, but at least I'm not polluting and putting hours of media and useless information in my brain."

"That's very smart." I flirted, flashing her my own signature smile.

"Thank you 13 year old me is probably blushing right now." she chuckled at the end of her sentence.

I chuckled back, enjoying her presence. Suddenly, we make eye contact, and I think I'm feeling a bit pink in the cheeks now. Is this girl perhaps a witch because she definitely put me under a love spell. I smiled at her glowy and pretty face of her's and and then I realised that my friends are all probably very confused as to why I am sitting here. I'll tell Gwen after school, and I don't need to tell the others, but something tells me otherwise, when I look back and see their table, almost comedically, they are all staring at me curiously. Oh, god.

"I'll be right back, Rory."

I walk up to the table and they are all ignoring me except Blake who atleast is making eye contact with me.

"Hello"

Melinda stops eating her sandwich and looks up at me. Her eyes are lined with some creamy black shadow.