VOLUME 8 Chapter 3

"So, Colonel. You're telling me that you had full faith in the Queen and didn't bother to quickly pour everything into supporting her as the city was under fire? Aren't you an officer? That's basic multitasking that's expected of you."

"Jawohl, mein herr."

"I... Ahhh... I don't have the shit to try to explain to you how bad it is to be under the care of anything. Because, you know that this capture of her is going to send shockwaves to the entire chain of command. I just hope heads won't roll."

"I know mein herr. I am prepared to take any punishment for my actions."

A rattle of a metal chair is heard as a man stood up. "Is this your first war Colonel?"

"Ja. I was far too young to participate in World War Three."

"Good, but one tip of advice to you. Don't become confident with anything, just because the Queen is an all powerful ancient vampire doesn't make her invincible. In war, nothing is invincible. I myself have seen it first hand. We had fancy tanks, but all it takes is one guy with a rocket launcher to end it, there was even rumors a single guy with an exoskeleton managed to destroy a Leopard Two."

"Mein herr, you were with the Asian Alliance?"

"Yes, I was a Colonel. I didn't go into the war with valor and glory in mind though. I merely did what my country asked me to do. Not once did I think of anything other than the fact that me being there, spares some guy back home from being in my place."

"But herr-"

"No, don't give me that. I'm not here to tell you how you fucked up but instead how you can improve. You carry with you a rank, a rank that symbolizes veterancy and age. I held that very same rank, but on Earth and in what was arguably the most destructive war mankind waged against each other in the shortest time. I'm happy the Southern Theater only made it to Italy, I was already freezing my ass off in the Turkish desert. What more in the Balkans."

"Then I shall correct my mistakes. But please, do not drag the Detective into this. He's merely a cop. It was my decision to only send a handful of choppers to reinforce the Queen. I thought she'd hold-"

"Uh uh uh. Stop that, don't say I thought. Say I failed. Saying you thought or maybe can lead to people dying. You're lucky right now that all deaths are merely a setback, but me? I had to learn that the hard way. I thought there wasn't a minefield there. Now look, ten kids are dead on the back of an army truck and multiple MRAPs damaged beyond repair. Do you understand what I am saying, Colonel?"

"Jawohl, General."

"Don't fuck this up Rudentoft. I know behind that avatar of yours, you're probably just another kid. But now, you're given a heavy responsibility that you must carry on till we get out here. The soldier's your leading? Those are kids too you know? Probably even younger than you are. Please avoid the needless charges, I get it that was your only option with how well placed that castle was. But please, as much as you can avoid that."

"What would've you done General?"

"I'd destroy those towers first. Yes, you'll probably lose men but it's less than doing a full frontal attack. At Least try to cover those windows with the Main Battle Tanks or helicopters with smoke shells or rockets. Don't get so cocky just because we can return back to life. The psychological damage you're giving to these kids are irreparable. It'll probably hunt them till they get back to their mothers and fathers."

"And the Detective, General? Is he going to also get reprimanded?"

"Yes, bring him over. I'm done with you Colonel. I hope you'd learn something from this conversation of ours. I know it feels good to win, and get valor and glory as you come back here the winner and savior. The women fawning over you and the men wanting to be like you, but... not that I am hoping for this to happen to you. But when we're no longer able to respawn, you'll see the true horror of war. The things machines can do to human flesh..." the General's eyes wondered. As if a quick slideshow passed through right in front of him.